Altair newbie -- missing chips

  • Larry D. Pyeatt
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 27, 2006
      Hello everyone,

      I never got the chance to use an Altair, but...

      I found an 8800bt in a dumpster about 15 years ago. It has been sitting
      in a
      box, packed in foam for all that time. I rediscovered it a couple of
      weeks ago and
      started working on it. I pulled it apart and cleaned it (it really
      wasn't that dirty).
      Replaced the broken front panel switches, found some keys that fit the
      front panel
      lock and had the lock re-keyed to fit the keys. Then I replaced all the
      capacitors in
      the power supply, even though they didn't seem to have leaked. Last
      night I turned
      it on with no boards, just to test the power supply. It worked! All
      three voltages
      look good.

      The processor board is missing, so I bought one from EBay. Some of the
      other boards have missing chips. The biggest problem now is that I
      don't know
      the part numbers for the missing parts. Where can I find parts lists?
      The main
      part that I need right now is a 24-pin wide DIP that goes next to the
      SENSE switches
      on the Turnkey Module. I can faintly see what I think is a Q, naming
      the chip.
      Does anyone know what it is? My best guess is that the missing chip has
      something
      to do with the serial port.

      The Turnkey Module has been modified. Traces are cut and several jumpers
      installed. It looks like the onboard RAM has been disabled. I'm not
      sure if this
      has anything to do with the missing chip, but it does not look like it
      to me.

      On another note.. Does anyone have any idea how much a Pertec 8" floppy
      drive
      should cost, or where I could get one? I have the controller cards
      (with three missing
      chips), but no drive or cable. I'm also looking for someone to copy
      their software
      onto floppys for me assuming I can find a floppy drive (I'll provide the
      floppies). Are
      there copyright issues with that?

      I am having a lot of fun working on this old thing.

      --
      Larry D. Pyeatt, PhD.
      pyeatt@...