New Altair Resurrection Tools!

  • grantstockly
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 16 2:04 PM
      I have an Altair 8800 with a disk drive, but only basic boot disks. I
      really wanted to run CP/M.

      I wrote a disk image tool for Windows that will both read and write
      disks from the altair. Now I have my own boot disk. I decided this
      tool could be useful to other people, so I polished it a little.

      Then I figured that a lot of people might have a disk drive but no
      basic boot disks. So I made a bootstrap tool.

      Using a program similar to the cassette/paper tape loaders I am able
      to copy Disk Extended Basic 5.0 into the Altair over the serial port
      in about 30 seconds. After copying the memory size prompt comes up.
      At that point you click another button and a basic program is dumped
      into memory. That basic program is a "server" program to give windows
      access to the raw sectors on the Altair. 12 minutes later and you can
      have a complete 330k disk read/written.

      Does anyone here think they would like to try out these programs?
      Anyone here have an Altair but no bootdisks? The bootstrap tool can
      be used to boot any Altair into basic, even if you don't have a disk
      drive. It will work with any version of basic.

      Grant
    • eric@rothfus.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 17 7:14 AM
        Hi Grant,

        I'm a newbie to the Altair, but have my machine up
        and running. I have a floppy drive, but only
        blank disks, so I haven't been able to boot from
        disk.

        I have been working on my own personal challenge
        to get my floppy emulator device (www.theSVD.com)
        to boot the Altair without ever having a REAL
        floppy disk. A crazy concept, but fun. I'm
        making quite a few guesses as to the format of the
        floppy, though the Altair manuals, schematics, and
        firmware have enough info to get it done.

        I have prototyped the Altair/PC-Floppy interface
        adapter, and it appears to work...at least all of
        the lines wiggle as they are supposed to. So now
        it is a software exercise to get the right data
        to the hardware to get it to boot.

        I'd love to try out your transfer programs, it may
        help me get things up and running.

        Eric

        PS - I just noticed that you put an inquiry about the
        SVD to the web-site! Are you interested only in the
        Altair support? (which doesn't yet exist :-) ) You
        could be a "beta" site for me...
      • Richard A. Cini
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 17 3:11 PM

          Eric:

                      You may want to check out the disks I have with the Altair32 Emulator. They might be of some use to your efforts. What I’d love to see is a generic floppy emulator I can use with my IMSAI. Like I’ve said to various people, I hate 8” floppy drives.

          Rich

          Rich Cini

          Collector of classic computers

          Lead engineer, Altair32 Emulator

          Web site: http://highgate.comm.sfu.ca/~rcini/classiccmp/

          Web site: http://www.altair32.com/

          /***************************************************/

        • Craig Landrum
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 17 4:25 PM
            On Sunday, July 16, 2006 at 5:04 PM, grantstockly sent:

            >I have an Altair 8800 with a disk drive, but only basic boot disks. I
            >really wanted to run CP/M.

            Grant;

            I have a copy of Bascom's CP/M 2.2 for the Altair. It works with
            Altair's hard-sectored floppy's,the 2-board floppy controller,
            and boots properly with the SIO 2 board. If you like, I can
            make a dupe of this disk and snail mail it to you.

            --
            Craig Landrum
            Chief Technical Officer