Re: Altair 8800 on eBay

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 30, 2006
      Todd-
      In the item's bid history, he says he cancelled all bids because he
      decided to keep the 8800 in the family.

      Craig-
      I don't have a problem with sniping at all. In fact, I am a sniper.
      If you'll simply bid what the item is worth to you, you'll either win
      it or force someone like me to pay more than what you think it's
      worth. What's the matter with that? Remember that ebay uses "proxy
      bidding", so just place one bid in the maximum amount you're willing
      to spend, then sit back and watch the show. If you want to discuss
      the merits of last minute bidding versus early bidding, I can give
      you several arguments in favor of sniping that are favorable to both
      the buyer and the seller. I doubt that you'll find many good reasons
      to bid early.

      There's an auction site called uBid.com who used to use your scheme
      in their auctions- maybe they still do. They would keep moving back
      the closing time by 15 or 20 minutes when anyone placed a bid within
      those last few minutes of the auction. I tried to buy a camera
      there, and it was the most frustrating auction experience I've ever
      had. In an auction that was supposed to end at 10PM, I watched red-
      eyed as it was extended, 15 minutes at a time, until 4AM. That was
      the last time I used uBid.

      Steve
      ===============================

      --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Mollerup, Todd"
      <tmollerup@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >

      > I am always excited to hear that an Altair is for sale.
      Unfortunately, if I
      > am reading the link correctly, this item is no longer for sale. It
      says "The
      > seller ended this listing early because the item is no longer
      available for
      > sale."
      >

      > Is anyone else getting the same message?
      >

      > Todd
      >
      > _____

      Landrum