Altair 8800 on eBay

  • Erik Klein
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 30, 2006

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190002776781&fromMakeTrack=true

      I just spoke to the owner of the system listed above.  The computer sounds like a really nice basic, early Altair.  The chip on the processor card is an Intel 8080 (not a, -1, -8 or whatever.)

      Just an FYI

      Erik Klein

      www.vintage-computer.com

      www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum

      The Vintage Computer Forum

    • Craig Landrum
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 30, 2006
        >I just spoke to the owner of the system listed above. The computer sounds
        >like a really nice basic, early Altair. The chip on the processor card is
        >an Intel 8080 (not a, -1, -8 or whatever.)

        It also appears to have the original electrolytic caps on the
        power supply. FYI, when I put together my 8800 two years ago,
        I decided to not tempt fate and replaced all of the original
        electrolytics in the power supply. The replacements I got
        were the slightly smaller blue-case type instead of the
        silver, but on the other hand my rebuilt supply is handling
        a CPU board, four 16K static memory boards, a PROM board,
        an SIO2, an SIOC, the dual floppy set, and a centronics
        board just fine - all MITS boards. I also ripped out all
        the wiring and did that from scratch since the original
        builder appeared to use a blowtorch instead of a soldering
        iron :-)

        It will be interesting to see what the sniping is like on
        the system on eBay - I don't recall an 8800 going for under
        2K in the past two years, no matter how few boards it
        contained. This one looks like it has the CPU and the
        original 256 byte board.

        You know what I wish eBay would do to eliminate sniping?
        Allow you to specify that the auction remains open until
        15 minutes after the last bid.

        FYI, I may be putting up one of my working IMSAI's next
        week. It has a z80 cpu, 64K RAM, floppy controller,
        two 8 inch drives, and a DS/DD combo drive with a 3.5
        and 5.25 drive, serial and parallel controllers. It
        boots CP/M 2.2 and I've customized the BIOS to handle
        DS/DD disks and use 1K sector sizes. Bunch of S/W also.
        --
        Craig Landrum
        Chief Technical Officer
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 30, 2006

          Hi,

          I am always excited to hear that an Altair is for sale. Unfortunately, if I am reading the link correctly, this item is no longer for sale. It says “The seller ended this listing early because the item is no longer available for sale.”

          Is anyone else getting the same message?

          Todd

          >I just spoke to the owner of the system listed above. The computer sounds
          >like a really nice basic, early Altair. The chip on the processor card is
          >an Intel 8080 (not a, -1, -8 or whatever.)

          It also appears to have the original electrolytic caps on the
          power supply. FYI, when I put together my 8800 two years ago,
          I decided to not tempt fate and replaced all of the original
          electrolytics in the power supply. The replacements I got
          were the slightly smaller blue-case type instead of the
          silver, but on the other hand my rebuilt supply is handling
          a CPU board, four 16K static memory boards, a PROM board,
          an SIO2, an SIOC, the dual floppy set, and a centronics
          board just fine - all MITS boards. I also ripped out all
          the wiring and did that from scratch since the original
          builder appeared to use a blowtorch instead of a soldering
          iron :-)

          It will be interesting to see what the sniping is like on
          the system on eBay - I don't recall an 8800 going for under
          2K in the past two years, no matter how few boards it
          contained. This one looks like it has the CPU and the
          original 256 byte board.

          You know what I wish eBay would do to eliminate sniping?
          Allow you to specify that the auction remains open until
          15 minutes after the last bid.

          FYI, I may be putting up one of my working IMSAI's next
          week. It has a z80 cpu, 64K RAM, floppy controller,
          two 8 inch drives, and a DS/DD combo drive with a 3.5
          and 5.25 drive, serial and parallel controllers. It
          boots CP/M 2.2 and I've customized the BIOS to handle
          DS/DD disks and use 1K sector sizes. Bunch of S/W also.
          --
          Craig Landrum
          Chief Technical Officer
          mindwrap, inc.
          Phone: (540) 675-3015 x 229
          Fax: (540) 675-3130
          email: craigl@mindwrap. com

        • Erik Klein
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 30, 2006

            Yeah, it appears he pulled it for some reason.

            Perhaps he decided to keep it for sentimental value or maybe he found a deserving museum.

            I do know that it’ll be preserved wherever it goes, and that’s a good thing! J

            Erik Klein

            www.vintage-computer.com

            www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum

            The Vintage Computer Forums

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 30, 2006
              Todd-
              In the item's bid history, he says he cancelled all bids because he
              decided to keep the 8800 in the family.

              Craig-
              I don't have a problem with sniping at all. In fact, I am a sniper.
              If you'll simply bid what the item is worth to you, you'll either win
              it or force someone like me to pay more than what you think it's
              worth. What's the matter with that? Remember that ebay uses "proxy
              bidding", so just place one bid in the maximum amount you're willing
              to spend, then sit back and watch the show. If you want to discuss
              the merits of last minute bidding versus early bidding, I can give
              you several arguments in favor of sniping that are favorable to both
              the buyer and the seller. I doubt that you'll find many good reasons
              to bid early.

              There's an auction site called uBid.com who used to use your scheme
              in their auctions- maybe they still do. They would keep moving back
              the closing time by 15 or 20 minutes when anyone placed a bid within
              those last few minutes of the auction. I tried to buy a camera
              there, and it was the most frustrating auction experience I've ever
              had. In an auction that was supposed to end at 10PM, I watched red-
              eyed as it was extended, 15 minutes at a time, until 4AM. That was
              the last time I used uBid.

              Steve
              ===============================

              --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Mollerup, Todd"
              <tmollerup@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >

              > I am always excited to hear that an Altair is for sale.
              Unfortunately, if I
              > am reading the link correctly, this item is no longer for sale. It
              says "The
              > seller ended this listing early because the item is no longer
              available for
              > sale."
              >

              > Is anyone else getting the same message?
              >

              > Todd
              >
              > _____

              Landrum