Re: [Altair Computer Club] historical fact

  • Craig Landrum
    Message 1 of 7 , May 22, 2006
      Here's a good one - my 8800 had been refusing to boot
      anything for a while and I was racking my brain as to
      why. Kept trying the boot sequence and watching the lights
      freeze up when I noticed that A7 or A8 was blinking,
      indicating some kind of loop. On a whim I wiggled the
      1st disk controller board - nothing. Then wiggled the
      2nd disk controller board and the light stopped. Wiggled
      again and it starts again. Aha! says I, I must have a
      bad board or bad bus slot, so I move all the boards
      left one slot and looked at the candidate flakey connector
      and lo and behold there was a solder splash or something
      at the bottom of the connector. I fished it out and the
      machine has been booting everything I give it since.
      That bit of solder has been causing me headaches for
      months.

      I currently have good bootable copies of Altair Disk
      Basic 5, Altair DOS, and CP/M for Altair. I love that
      CP/M disk. Am planning to try and move Zork and Wordstar
      over from my IMSAI at some point.
      --
      Craig Landrum
      Chief Technical Officer
      Message 2 of 7 , May 22, 2006
        That's quite a teaser, Ray. Please tell the story.

        steve
        =======================

        --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, BOYD BORRILL
        <b.r.borrill@...> wrote:
        > Steve, did I ever tell you the story of the three guys that might
        have been among the richest in the world if they had the courage of
        their convictions. If not, I'll d so before I can't type anymore. It is
        a great hoot.
        Message 3 of 7 , May 22, 2006
          Those solder splashes are murder, and darned near invisible usually.
          I don't feel lonely any more.

          Do you have "Advent" (Adventure) on CPM? It's the forerunner to
          Zork. There should be some messages in the archives about it.

          steve
          ================================

          --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, Craig Landrum <craigl@...>
          wrote:

          > Here's a good one - my 8800 had been refusing to boot
          > anything for a while and I was racking my brain as to
          > why. Kept trying the boot sequence and watching the lights
          > freeze up when I noticed that A7 or A8 was blinking,
          > indicating some kind of loop. On a whim I wiggled the
          > 1st disk controller board - nothing. Then wiggled the
          > 2nd disk controller board and the light stopped. Wiggled
          > again and it starts again. Aha! says I, I must have a
          > bad board or bad bus slot, so I move all the boards
          > left one slot and looked at the candidate flakey connector
          > and lo and behold there was a solder splash or something
          > at the bottom of the connector. I fished it out and the
          > machine has been booting everything I give it since.
          > That bit of solder has been causing me headaches for
          > months.
          >
          > I currently have good bootable copies of Altair Disk
          > Basic 5, Altair DOS, and CP/M for Altair. I love that
          > CP/M disk. Am planning to try and move Zork and Wordstar
          > over from my IMSAI at some point.
          > --
          > Craig Landrum
          > Chief Technical Officer
          > mindwrap, inc.
          > Phone: (540) 675-3015 x 229
          > Fax: (540) 675-3130
          > email: craigl@...

        • Craig Landrum
          Message 4 of 7 , May 22, 2006
            On Monday, May 22, 2006 at 2:09 PM, Steve sent:

            >Those solder splashes are murder, and darned near invisible usually.
            >I don't feel lonely any more.
            >
            >Do you have "Advent" (Adventure) on CPM? It's the forerunner to
            >Zork. There should be some messages in the archives about it.
            >
            >steve

            I used to play Adventure on a Data General S-130. Fun stuff.

            I may have it on diskette for CP/M somewhere, but I found the
            Zork stuff online and it was worked well. I hacked the BIOS
            on my IMSAI to use 1024-byte sectors and caching along with
            double density and was then able to put all three Zorks on a
            single 8-inch diskette.

            I've got two double-sided 8-inch drives still in the box, but
            haven't used them yet. On that same IMSAI I have a 5.25 and a
            3.5 inch diskette drive to cover all bases, all running with
            the 1024-byte sector size. That covers drives A,B,C,and D,and
            I'm thinking about making drives E,F,G,and H refer to the same
            physical drives but with single density 128-byte standard sector
            sizes so I can easily move between "standard" CP/M diskettes and
            my high density format.

            --
            Craig Landrum
            Chief Technical Officer
            Message 5 of 7 , May 22, 2006
              You know this is a little off topic, but the adventure comment reminded me of something.  In the mid seventies, we used to play a great version of "startrek" on a univac and the U of Pa.  This was the typical startrek with quadrants and sectors, with one major exception.  The klingons came from neighboring quadrants and chased you (not just within sectors).

              Wonder if anyone ever ran into a pc version like that?

              Yeesh, I remember some late nights in the basement of the engineering school playing this stupid game.  There was also a univac version of Adventure - "Colosal Cave".

              Take care,

              On 5/22/06, Craig Landrum <craigl@...> wrote:

              On Monday, May 22, 2006 at 2:09 PM, Steve sent:

              >Those solder splashes are murder, and darned near invisible usually.
              >I don't feel lonely any more.
              >
              >Do you have "Advent" (Adventure) on CPM?  It's the forerunner to
              >Zork.  There should be some messages in the archives about it.
              >
              >steve

              I used to play Adventure on a Data General S-130. Fun stuff.

              I may have it on diskette for CP/M somewhere, but I found the
              Zork stuff online and it was worked well.  I hacked the BIOS
              on my IMSAI to use 1024-byte sectors and caching along with
              double density and was then able to put all three Zorks on a
              single 8-inch diskette.

              I've got two double-sided 8-inch drives still in the box, but
              haven't used them yet. On that same IMSAI I have a 5.25 and a
              3.5 inch diskette drive to cover all bases, all running with
              the 1024-byte sector size.  That covers drives A,B,C,and D,and
              I'm thinking about making drives E,F,G,and H refer to the same
              physical drives but with single density 128-byte standard sector
              sizes  so I can easily move between "standard" CP/M diskettes and
              my high density format.

              --
              Craig Landrum
              Chief Technical Officer
              mindwrap, inc.
              Phone: (540) 675-3015 x 229
              Fax:   (540) 675-3130
              email: craigl@...

              Home is just a click away. Make Yahoo! your home page now.
              http://us.click.yahoo.com/DHchtC/3FxNAA/yQLSAA/S_NqlB/TM

                 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              --
              Andrew Kessel