value of computers??

  • pink1_mindspring
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 13, 2005
      Forgive me for not knowing tech info. My beloved late husband was the
      computer guru, not me.

      I guess this is more of a fishing expedition than anything at the
      moment, but I am curious as to what an Altair and assorted support
      stuff is worth.

      I know the Altair is an original, as he purchased it back in 1975 or
      1976. Somewhere along the line he got a different faceplate, so I
      have both.

      I can remember first dating him and going down into his basement to
      play games on the computer, and his booting up the computer by toggling
      the front plate, and then feeding in paper tape programs via a teletype
      (8 level I think). Funny looking back and realizing that instead of
      reading off a monitor, you had to wait for the teletype to print out
      the info.

      I know there are a lot of books, documentations and I know when I was
      packing things I saw an original (must be original, who would make
      copies??) Microsoft basic program on papertape.

      I suppose that what is sitting off in a corner of my basement is the
      early history of Bill Gates. I think there is still the original
      box that the Altair came in.

      You could say that we were both packrats, and I am looking to maybe
      change that, but don't even know where to begin finding the value on
      such things. I don't think the Smithsonian would be interested in
      a second unit, but I think it's pretty cool that I have something from
      my husband that is important enough to history to be sitting in the
      Smithsonian.

      Sorry for rambling - I tend to do that when thinking about the past.

      Anyway, if anyone could give me brief, basic, easy to understand (non
      computer-techie type) info, I would appreciate it.
    • Dan
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 13, 2005
        Hi,

        Your late husbands collection has alot of value. If your familiar with
        eBay, you can view the past history on this item and see the value among
        the various auctions which sold. If this is your intention, then you may
        want to auction this. However, there are many computer museums out there
        (besides the Smithsonian) which may be interested in you donating this
        machine. Just be careful as to which is a real museum and not somebody's
        personal collection, as many people call their collections a "museum"
        but they are not necessarily a non-profit organization.

        =Dan

        .~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~.
        [My Corner of Cyberspace http://ragooman.home.comcast.net/ ]
        [Pittsburgh Robotics Society Got Robot? http://www.pghrobotics.org/ ]
        .~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~.

        pink1_mindspring wrote:

        > Forgive me for not knowing tech info. My beloved late husband was the
        > computer guru, not me.
        >
        > I guess this is more of a fishing expedition than anything at the
        > moment, but I am curious as to what an Altair and assorted support
        > stuff is worth.
        >
        > I know the Altair is an original, as he purchased it back in 1975 or
        > 1976. Somewhere along the line he got a different faceplate, so I
        > have both.
        >
        > I can remember first dating him and going down into his basement to
        > play games on the computer, and his booting up the computer by toggling
        > the front plate, and then feeding in paper tape programs via a teletype
        > (8 level I think). Funny looking back and realizing that instead of
        > reading off a monitor, you had to wait for the teletype to print out
        > the info.
        >
        > I know there are a lot of books, documentations and I know when I was
        > packing things I saw an original (must be original, who would make
        > copies??) Microsoft basic program on papertape.
        >
        > I suppose that what is sitting off in a corner of my basement is the
        > early history of Bill Gates. I think there is still the original
        > box that the Altair came in.
        >
        > You could say that we were both packrats, and I am looking to maybe
        > change that, but don't even know where to begin finding the value on
        > such things. I don't think the Smithsonian would be interested in
        > a second unit, but I think it's pretty cool that I have something from
        > my husband that is important enough to history to be sitting in the
        > Smithsonian.
        >
        > Sorry for rambling - I tend to do that when thinking about the past.
        >
        > Anyway, if anyone could give me brief, basic, easy to understand (non
        > computer-techie type) info, I would appreciate it.

      • Erik Klein
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 13, 2005
          The easy answer is that what you have has value.

          I sincerely doubt that the Smithsonian or any of the other computer-specific
          museums want or need another Altair, but you never know.

          Paul Allen is working on a museum in Albuquerque NM that isn't quite done
          yet. They have an 8800, but they may not have the same depth to their
          collection that, say, the Computer History Museum in Mountain View does.

          At the moment Altair systems seem to be going in the $3K range, plus or
          minus, with more complete, functional systems going higher. If you've got
          the Teletype and boxes, along with what you'd otherwise expect (original
          assembly and use documentation, mainly, but other docs, peripherals, etc.)
          then you should easily be able to realize more from the machine. The
          original box(es), believe it or not, will probably add hundreds.

          The system sounds like a gem. I hope you consider keeping it as it sounds
          like it has sentimental value to you. If you don't, I'm sure that there are
          collectors out there that will treasure it as you did.

          All the best,

          Erik Klein

          www.vintage-computer.com <http://www.vintage-computer.com/>

          www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum

[...]