Re: [Altair Computer Club] Re: 16k Static board for 680 system and more

  • Craig Landrum
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 22, 2005
      On Friday, July 22, 2005 at 1:11 AM, Steve sent:

      >The 680 static RAM card uses the same chips as the 16K static RAM
      >card for the 8800 buss.

      Now it's Tom's 680 Static RAM card, since we traded :-)

      >The PMC-8 board was often sold as a read-only board, without
      >programming ability. Does your board have a big rectangular inverter
      >module mounted on it? If not, you can't blast 2708s.

      It looked like the PMC8 picture on the virtualaltair website,
      bit I don't think it had the switch and the inverter.

      >Which cable are you rebuilding? One of the internal cables that go
      >from the 2 boards to the back panel of the computer, or the long
      >cable that goes from the back of the Altair to the back of the drive
      >cabinet? Or somewthing else?

      Boards to backplane. I have a twisted pair cable and one of
      the smaller molex connectors was cut off. Tom sent me the
      pinouts, but now I'm looking for the model # for a replacement
      molex (and those slide-in crimping contacts). This molex
      appears about half the size of the CPU molex....

      Any idea where to get a molex replacement???
      --
      Craig Landrum
      Chief Technical Officer
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 12, 2005
        After days of chip-level debugging sessions along with an
        Altair BASIC boot disk generously provided by Bob, I was
        able to boot and run BASIC last night.

        Had previously been debugging the 88-DCDD system which
        had been assembled piecemeal from various sources
        (controllers from vintagemicros, disk drive from Jack,
        connector cable from Jameco, and plenty of great advice
        from Tom and others, a DCDD manual and DBL boot prom from
        Steve) and had fixed a defective braided cable, replaced
        a bad molex connector, and replaced four dead IC's on the
        controller cards.

        Last night (before I booted BASIC) I was running down a write
        problem using I/O test routines laboriously toggled in
        through the front panel. I would try a write and then
        try a read and get back all 1's. After hours of tracing
        signals using the logic analyzer and checking one-shot
        timings, I finally looked where I should have started
        at in the first place which was the actual connector on
        the back of the disk, and lo and behold, write data was
        streaming into the disk. WTF??? Data screaming in and
        nothing getting written? About 60 seconds later I
        slapped myself on the forehead, removed the diskette,
        and covered over the write protect tab. Duh. Stuff
        worked perfectly then, amazingly enough. Put the
        boot disk in and away we went. Lesson learned.

        Now that the system is alive, I'll try and do a
        facial makeover. The front dress panel is in
        really decent shape except for a few missing letters
        here and there. I grabbed a high rez scan of a
        good front panel from the web, Cleaned it up, removed
        the gray background, inverted the white bits to black
        and printed it actual size on clear mylar. I plan to
        use PhotoEZ to create a new silkscreen for portions of
        the front panel that are damaged (this is a neat
        product - see: http://www.gwengibson.com/photoez.htm
        I used it before when restoring the lettering on a
        rebuilt Chatauqua roller organ ). Will take some before
        and after pics of the dress panel.

        Stuff I'm still looking for:

        - A 88-CENT Centronics board (will buy if found or
        trade for other S100 boards)

        - A copy of Altair DOS/Editor/Assembler/Linker/Debugger

        - A second Altair Disk drive in its cabinet.

        - A repro Altair Disk aliminum dress strip to go on
        the front of the Altair Disk I now have. FYI, the
        guy that currently sells the Altair 8800 repro
        strips doesn't have them).

        I'm driving up to NJ in a week or so to pick up three
        ASR33 teletype/paper tape punch/readers and will
        rebuild one to go with this system.

        --
        Craig Landrum
        Chief Technical Officer
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 12, 2005
          Congratulations, Craig. It's always the simple things that cause the
          biggest headaches, isn't it?

          I'm curious about your PhotoEZ project. After going to the URL you
          gave, and after googling for the product, it seems that the largest
          sheet of PhotoEZ is only 12" long. How will you able to produce a
          good ~17" silkscreen mask? Surely, you can't simply splice 2 sheets
          together, can you?

          steve
          =============================

          --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, Craig Landrum

        • Craig Landrum
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 12, 2005
            >I'm curious about your PhotoEZ project. After going to the URL you
            >gave, and after googling for the product, it seems that the largest
            >sheet of PhotoEZ is only 12" long. How will you able to produce a
            >good ~17" silkscreen mask? Surely, you can't simply splice 2 sheets
            >together, can you?
            >
            >steve

            Correct - their sheets aren't large enough. Also, due to the
            small variations and inaccuracies in scanning, printing, etc,
            it is highly unlikely that I could generate a mylar or a
            screen that would accurately register across the entire front
            panel (at least not without a lot of tweaking). So what I'm
            doing is simply making small screens that do specific
            sections of the panel (perhaps for just one switch like the
            ON/ OFF or EXAMINE/EXAMINE NEXT switch etc). Then I easily
            mount the screen over the area being fixed with nice registration
            and mask off the rest of the front panel with platsic wrap or
            several sheets of paper, etc leaving just the area being painted
            open.

            PhotoEZ worked well for me when restenciling black letters over
            polyurethaned wood and I would expect it to work even better
            over smooth metal. On the wood project I was using Krylon
            black spay paint and will probably try and use white or cream
            color for the front panel. Haven't looked with a magnifier
            yet, but at first glance the original white lettering appears
            to be in semi-gloss or flat, so I will try that.

            When doing these kind of things, the biggest ooops to avoid
            is trying to apply too much paint at once, causing it to
            wick between the stencil and the surface being painted.

            I'm also considering spraying a final covering of clear satin
            finish over the restored panel to protect it, but will certainly
            try a small section first to see how it affects the appearance.
            I wouldn't want to end up with nicely restored but fakey looking
            panel....

            --
            Craig Landrum
            Chief Technical Officer
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 12, 2005
              I'm considering creating some reproduction MITS documentation
              binders in something like 1 inch and 1.5 or 2 inch sizes.

              My initial thoughts were to duplicate the MITS blue lettering
              etc on the cover and binding and also order the binders with
              inside pockets and the clear plastic binder pocket that you
              can slip a document title into.

              Has anyone done this already? If not, would anyone be
              interested in buying some from me if I ordered them in
              quantity? Assuming I could charge about $5 a binder, would
              there be any takers out there, and for how many binders?

              --
              Craig Landrum
              Chief Technical Officer
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 14, 2005
                --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, Craig Landrum <craigl@m...>

                > - A repro Altair Disk aliminum dress strip to go on
                > the front of the Altair Disk I now have. FYI, the
                > guy that currently sells the Altair 8800 repro
                > strips doesn't have them).

                Hi,

                I am currently looking for an aluminum "8800 repro
                strip", if I can't get an original. But, I don't know
                where to acquire one.
                Could you point me to "...the guy that currently
                sells the Altair 8800 repro strips"..?

                Much appreciated,

                Raife Edwards
              • Craig Landrum
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 15, 2005
                  On Monday, August 15, 2005 at 8:08 PM, raife_e sent:

                  > I am currently looking for an aluminum "8800 repro
                  >strip", if I can't get an original. But, I don't know
                  >where to acquire one.
                  > Could you point me to "...the guy that currently
                  >sells the Altair 8800 repro strips"..?
                  >
                  >Much appreciated,
                  >
                  >Raife Edwards

                  This was the email of the guy I bought mine from a month
                  or so ago. At that time, he charged about $40 and $10
                  for shipping and the item was excellent.

                  jerry.schneider@...

                  --
                  Craig Landrum
                  Chief Technical Officer