MARS SPECTACULAR

  • UEOGUY-H.E.ROBT
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 7, 2005
      I received this on a teletype/ham radio list.....

      MARS SPECTACULAR

      This month and next, Earth is catching up with Mars in an encounter
      that will culminate in the closest approach between the two planets in
      recorded history. The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287.
      Due to the way Jupiter's gravity tugs on Mars and perturbs its orbit,
      astronomers can only be certain that Mars has not come this close to
      Earth in the last 5,000 years, but it may be as long as 60,000 years
      before it happens again.

      The encounter will culminate on August 27th when Mars comes to within
      34,649,589 miles of Earth and will be (next to the moon) the brightest
      object in the night sky. It will attain a magnitude of -2.9 and will
      appear 25.11 arc seconds wide. At a modest 75-power magnification Mars
      will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye. Mars will be easy
      to spot. At the beginning of August it will rise in the east at 10p.m.
      and reach its azimuth at about 3 a.m. By the end of August when the
      two planets are closest, Mars will rise at nightfall and reach its
      highest point in the sky at 12:30a.m. That's pretty convenient to see
      something that no human being has seen in recorded history. So, mark
      your calendar at the beginning of August to see Mars grow progressively
      brighter and brighter throughout the month.

      NO ONE ALIVE TODAY WILL EVER SEE THIS
      AGAIN!_______________________________________________
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 8, 2005
        Thanks for that info. It should be fun to watch.
        1) The release of the remade movie "War of the Worlds" is well timed.
        2) How does this phenomenon affect the star called Altair? (we
        gotta keep this on topic, after all).

        alltare
        =================================

        --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "UEOGUY-H.E.ROBT"
        <ueoguy@y...> wrote:
        > I received this on a teletype/ham radio list.....
        >
        > MARS SPECTACULAR
        >
        > This month and next, Earth is catching up with Mars in an
        encounter
        > that will culminate in the closest approach between the two planets
        in
        > recorded history. The next time Mars may come this close is in
        2287.
        > Due to the way Jupiter's gravity tugs on Mars and perturbs its
        orbit,
        > astronomers can only be certain that Mars has not come this close
        > Earth in the last 5,000 years, but it may be as long as 60,000
        years
        > before it happens again.
        >
        > The encounter will culminate on August 27th when Mars comes to
        within
        > 34,649,589 miles of Earth and will be (next to the moon) the
        brightest
        > object in the night sky. It will attain a magnitude of -2.9 and
        will
        > appear 25.11 arc seconds wide. At a modest 75-power magnification
        Mars
        > will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye. Mars will be
        easy
        > to spot. At the beginning of August it will rise in the east at
        10p.m.
        > and reach its azimuth at about 3 a.m. By the end of August when
        the
        > two planets are closest, Mars will rise at nightfall and reach its
        > highest point in the sky at 12:30a.m. That's pretty convenient to
        see
        > something that no human being has seen in recorded history. So,
        mark
        > your calendar at the beginning of August to see Mars grow
        progressively
        > brighter and brighter throughout the month.
        >

        > NO ONE ALIVE TODAY WILL EVER SEE THIS
        > AGAIN!_______________________________________________
      • UEOGUY-H.E.ROBT
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 8, 2005
          Ahh, well, er wasn't there a story about how the Altair got it's
          name related to Star Trek, and of course everyone knows that
          the Federation ship yards are on Utopia Planetia, which is on or around
          MARS...

          Okay it's a stretch, here's the real story, as found on Oldcomputers.net
          site!

          Why call it "Altair"?
          There are two versions, the first and most popular, that the name came
          from Star Trek the TV series, is apparently false, but it sounds good.

          1. The story is, that Les Solomon
          <http://www.atariarchives.org/deli/solomons_memory.php>, the
          (then) technical director of Popular Electronics magazine (and a
          great story teller), asked his daughter about a name, and she
          suggested "Altair", because "that's where the Enterprise is going
          in this episode" - she was watching Star Trek, the science fiction
          TV series.

          (Actually, Altair is a real star - Altair VI - Alpha Aquilae, and
          was mentioned in only one Star Trek episode: "Amok Time"
          <http://soundwavs.trekkieguy.com/30.html>, episode 34 - original
          airdate: 9/16/1967.)

          2. Alternately, Forrest M. Mimms III <http://www.forrestmims.org/>
          states in the November 1984 issue
          <http://www.atarimagazines.com/creative/v10n11/17_The_Altair_story_early_d.php>
          of Creative Computing that the Altair was originally going to be
          named the PE-8 (Popular Electronics 8-bit), but Les Solomon
          thought this name to be rather dull, so Les, Alexander Burawa
          (associate editor), and John McVeigh (technical editor) decided
          that "It's a stellar event, so let's name it after a star."
          McVeigh suggested "Altair". Remember, there really is a star
          called Altair <http://www.pk3.org/Astro/index.htm?sky_stars.htm> -
          it's the 11th brightest star in the sky.

          Just Bob!...just trying to get some traffic on the list???

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 8, 2005
            Later on, Processor Tech struck closer to home, namewise, with
            it's "Sol Terminal Computer", an Altair clone. As I understand it,
            it was named for Les Solomon (there's that name again), but Sol is
            also another star that some people might be aware of.

            alltare.