Re: [Altair Computer Club] Re: building an altair 680!!! (:, having trouble finding componets

  • UEOGUY-H.E.ROBT
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 15, 2005
      What was it used for in the circuit? Was it a CMOS chip?

    • nickinthecity2000
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 15, 2005
        I do remeber it being listed somewhere as a cmos chip but i am
        unsure. As I said in another post, I have never built a project
        this big.

        I'll do scan of the parts lists and schematic later, so you all will
        have a better idea of what i am talking about.

        --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "UEOGUY-H.E.ROBT"

      • nickinthecity2000
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 15, 2005
          I did a search on digikey and got several type chips for the same
          number. i'm guessing it is a line driver though. the 680 did have
          a built in terminal interface.

          I'm trying to build this with a schematic printed off the internet,
          and a parts list printed from popular electronics, its not working.
          I am going to have buy the actual manual from altairmanuals.com

          hopefully someone heres knows what this chip does, and where i can
          get it.

          Nicky

          <ueoguy@y...> wrote:
          > What was it used for in the circuit? Was it a CMOS chip?
          >
          > nickinthecity2000 wrote:
          >
          > >Do you know where i can find a 4449 ic?
          > >

          > >--- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <alltare@y...>
          > >wrote:
          > >

          > >>Nicky,
          > >>
          > >>Welcome to the group.
          > >>
          > >>Those aren't unusual parts at all. Digikey, Mouser, etc., all
          have
          > >>what you need. Using a 2200uf cap might allow too much AC
          ripple
          > >>into the power supply, and that can do strange things to digital
          > >>circuits. I wouldn't use it. At mouser.com, a quick search
          found
          > >>these items. I'm sure this is not a complete list of acceptable
          > >>parts:
          > >>
          > >>Rectron MP1505W (wire leads) appears to be an equivalent part to
          > >>VJ048.
          > >>15 amps/ 50PIV.
          > >>Mouser Part #: 583-MP1505-W
          > >>$2.00
          > >>See their data sheet.
          > >>
          > >>3300uf/50V cap radial lead
          > >>Mouser PN 140-XRL50V3300
          > >>$2.72
          > >>
          > >>3300uf/50V axial lead
          > >>Mouser Part #: 140-XAL50V3300
          > >>$4.51
          > >>
          > >>The cabinet and front panel are both high dollar items. Expect
          > >>pay ~$100 for a cabinet and $100 to $200 for the FP. That's my
          > >>guess, anyway
          > >>
          > >>alltare
          > >>==============================
          > >>
          > >>--- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "nickinthecity2000"

          > >the

          > >bridge

          > >because

          > >an

          > >50

          > >the

          > >---- SPECIAL NOTICE CONCERNING "SPAM" ----
          > >If this message appears to be junk mail that has nothing to do
          with our group, there are things you can do to prevent receiving
          more of the same. Go to our Yahoo group's website, sign in, open
          the FILES folder, and read the text file called "Blocking Spam" for
          infomation about your options.
          > >--- Steve, your group moderator
          > >
          > >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • horacehall
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 22, 2005
            Nicky,
            Got your email & replied, & that reminded me to look into the Group,
            since I'd not been here in ages.

            The 4449 is apparently the same as a 4009. My kit manual listed the
            part as "4449(4009)" and as chip location BB on the mainboard.
            Schematics show chip location BB is a hex inverting buffer, and that is
            what a 4009 chip is.

            I don't think you can jump 64K into the mainboard, because I think the
            complete set of memory address lines were only brought out to the edge
            connector for the expansion board. Best solution might be to build an
            expansion board and find or build a RAM card. Old cards are around but
            hard to find. I designed & built an interface card that allowed me to
            use SS-50 cards in the 680, since they were a more successful line of
            6800 system products back then.

            Your biggest hurdle to completing a working board is finding the
            Monitor ROMs that contain the firmware 'operating system'. My manuals
            included ROM listings that could be used to program ROMs, though, if
            one were that dedicated. I also figured out how make socket adapters to
            use the superior SwTPC Swatbug ROMs in the 680 (which also let me kick
            the clock speed up to 1MHz) but they are probably unobtainium these
            days.
            --Wayne
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 22, 2005
              Wayne-

              What typr of ROMs/PROMS did SWTPC use for Swatbug? 2708s?

              steve
              ===================================

              --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, horacehall <no_reply@y...>
              wrote:

              > ... I also figured out how make socket adapters to
              > use the superior SwTPC Swatbug ROMs in the 680 (which also let me
              kick
              > the clock speed up to 1MHz) but they are probably unobtainium these
              > days.
              > --Wayne
            • horacehall
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 28, 2005
                > What typr of ROMs/PROMS did SWTPC use for Swatbug? 2708s?

                I don't know Steve. It was a small program, just 1K, on a single chip.
                A ROM type chip, not UV erasable type chip. No standard part number on
                it, just the SWTP logo and "SWATBUG 1.0".

                --Wayne
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 29, 2005
                  Too bad. I was wondering if we could burn the code to
                  a 1702 EPROM for other 680 owners to try.

                  steve
                  ============================

                  wrote:

                  > > What typr of ROMs/PROMS did SWTPC use for Swatbug? 2708s?
                  >
                  > I don't know Steve. It was a small program, just 1K, on a single
                  chip.
                  > A ROM type chip, not UV erasable type chip. No standard part number
                  on
                  > it, just the SWTP logo and "SWATBUG 1.0".
                  >
                  > --Wayne
                • horacehall
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 1, 2005
                    > I was wondering if we could burn the code to
                    a 1702 EPROM for other 680 owners to try. <

                    Perhaps the program could be burned into 4 1702's? There are program
                    listings. You can find some online so you wouldn't have to hand key the
                    contents again: http://www.swtpc.com/mholley/swtbug/SWTBUG_Index.htm
                    --Wayne
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 8, 2005
                      Wayne,

                      A lot of SWTBUG looks like it's SWTPC-specific, so it would seem to
                      be of limited value. Also, required RAM must be installed at memory
                      addresses A000 thru A07, which may be a problem for some users. I
                      need to completely read the docs to see if it's viable. You said
                      that you have actually used this chip in an Altair?

                      Since we have the listing, I could hand-key the code into my
                      programmer and blast it into some 1702s, but no guarantees about
                      functionality.

                      alltare