building an altair 680!!! (:, having trouble finding componets

  • nickinthecity2000
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 8, 2005
      I got the mainboard for an Altair 680 off ebay, and am trying to
      collect all the components so i can start the project.

      Here is the deal though, since this dates back to 1976, some of the
      componets don't seem to exist anymore. I am looking for a bridge
      rectifer of model # VJ048, and a 3300 uf, 50 volt capacitor.

      I'm reluctant to subsitute anything in the bridge rectifer because
      its part of the power supply. i am probally never going to see an
      unbuilt altair board again!!! I can't seem to find a 3300 uf, 50
      volt capacitor but found a 2200 uf, 50 volt, can i substuaitue
      this? I'm afraid if the wrong voltages get sent to the pins on the
      ic's, i could have trouble.

      Also, eventually i will need to find an Altair 680 case, and the
      front panel board. if any has, or would sell these let me know.

      Thanks for the help,

      Nicky
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 8, 2005
        Nicky,

        Welcome to the group.

        Those aren't unusual parts at all. Digikey, Mouser, etc., all have
        what you need. Using a 2200uf cap might allow too much AC ripple
        into the power supply, and that can do strange things to digital
        circuits. I wouldn't use it. At mouser.com, a quick search found
        these items. I'm sure this is not a complete list of acceptable
        parts:

        Rectron MP1505W (wire leads) appears to be an equivalent part to
        VJ048.
        15 amps/ 50PIV.
        Mouser Part #: 583-MP1505-W
        $2.00
        See their data sheet.

        3300uf/50V cap radial lead
        Mouser PN 140-XRL50V3300
        $2.72

        3300uf/50V axial lead
        Mouser Part #: 140-XAL50V3300
        $4.51

        The cabinet and front panel are both high dollar items. Expect to
        pay ~$100 for a cabinet and $100 to $200 for the FP. That's my
        guess, anyway

        alltare
        ==============================

        --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "nickinthecity2000"
        <nickinthecity2000@y...> wrote:

        > I got the mainboard for an Altair 680 off ebay, and am trying to
        > collect all the components so i can start the project.
        >
        > Here is the deal though, since this dates back to 1976, some of the
        > componets don't seem to exist anymore. I am looking for a bridge
        > rectifer of model # VJ048, and a 3300 uf, 50 volt capacitor.
        >

        > I'm reluctant to subsitute anything in the bridge rectifer because
        > its part of the power supply. i am probally never going to see an
        > unbuilt altair board again!!! I can't seem to find a 3300 uf, 50
        > volt capacitor but found a 2200 uf, 50 volt, can i substuaitue
        > this? I'm afraid if the wrong voltages get sent to the pins on the
        > ic's, i could have trouble.
        >

        > Also, eventually i will need to find an Altair 680 case, and the
        > front panel board. if any has, or would sell these let me know.
        >

        > Thanks for the help,
        >
        > Nicky
      • nickinthecity2000
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 8, 2005
          Thanks for your help, guess i was looking in the wrong places. I was
          looking at JDR, Jameco, Electronic Goldmine, etc.

          Nicky

          --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <alltare@y...>
          wrote:

          > Nicky,
          >
          > Welcome to the group.
          >
          > Those aren't unusual parts at all. Digikey, Mouser, etc., all have
          > what you need. Using a 2200uf cap might allow too much AC ripple
          > into the power supply, and that can do strange things to digital
          > circuits. I wouldn't use it. At mouser.com, a quick search found
          > these items. I'm sure this is not a complete list of acceptable
          > parts:
          >
          > Rectron MP1505W (wire leads) appears to be an equivalent part to
          > VJ048.
          > 15 amps/ 50PIV.
          > Mouser Part #: 583-MP1505-W
          > $2.00
          > See their data sheet.
          >
          > 3300uf/50V cap radial lead
          > Mouser PN 140-XRL50V3300
          > $2.72
          >
          > 3300uf/50V axial lead
          > Mouser Part #: 140-XAL50V3300
          > $4.51
          >
          > The cabinet and front panel are both high dollar items. Expect to
          > pay ~$100 for a cabinet and $100 to $200 for the FP. That's my
          > guess, anyway
          >
          > alltare
          > ==============================
          >
          > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "nickinthecity2000"
          > <nickinthecity2000@y...> wrote:
          > >

          > > I got the mainboard for an Altair 680 off ebay, and am trying to
          > > collect all the components so i can start the project.
          > >
          > > Here is the deal though, since this dates back to 1976, some of
          the
          > > componets don't seem to exist anymore. I am looking for a
          bridge
          > > rectifer of model # VJ048, and a 3300 uf, 50 volt capacitor.
          > >

          > > I'm reluctant to subsitute anything in the bridge rectifer
          because
          > > its part of the power supply. i am probally never going to see
          an
          > > unbuilt altair board again!!! I can't seem to find a 3300 uf,
          50
          > > volt capacitor but found a 2200 uf, 50 volt, can i substuaitue
          > > this? I'm afraid if the wrong voltages get sent to the pins on
          the
          > > ic's, i could have trouble.
          > >

          > > Also, eventually i will need to find an Altair 680 case, and the
          > > front panel board. if any has, or would sell these let me know.
          > >

          > > Thanks for the help,
          > >
          > > Nicky
        • danos_p_y
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 11, 2005
            Hi,

            If there is enough space available you can use two capacitors
            connected together (parallel, of the same type), e.g. 2200 uF +
            (1000-1200) uF. The total capacity will be about 3300 uF.

            Danos

            <nickinthecity2000@y...> wrote:

            > I got the mainboard for an Altair 680 off ebay, and am trying to
            > collect all the components so i can start the project.
            >
            > Here is the deal though, since this dates back to 1976, some of the
            > componets don't seem to exist anymore. I am looking for a bridge
            > rectifer of model # VJ048, and a 3300 uf, 50 volt capacitor.
            >

            > I'm reluctant to subsitute anything in the bridge rectifer because
            > its part of the power supply. i am probally never going to see an
            > unbuilt altair board again!!! I can't seem to find a 3300 uf, 50
            > volt capacitor but found a 2200 uf, 50 volt, can i substuaitue
            > this? I'm afraid if the wrong voltages get sent to the pins on the
            > ic's, i could have trouble.
            >

            > Also, eventually i will need to find an Altair 680 case, and the
            > front panel board. if any has, or would sell these let me know.
            >

            > Thanks for the help,
            >
            > Nicky
          • nickinthecity2000
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 15, 2005
              Do you know where i can find a 4449 ic?

              wrote:

              > Nicky,
              >
              > Welcome to the group.
              >
              > Those aren't unusual parts at all. Digikey, Mouser, etc., all have
              > what you need. Using a 2200uf cap might allow too much AC ripple
              > into the power supply, and that can do strange things to digital
              > circuits. I wouldn't use it. At mouser.com, a quick search found
              > these items. I'm sure this is not a complete list of acceptable
              > parts:
              >
              > Rectron MP1505W (wire leads) appears to be an equivalent part to
              > VJ048.
              > 15 amps/ 50PIV.
              > Mouser Part #: 583-MP1505-W
              > $2.00
              > See their data sheet.
              >
              > 3300uf/50V cap radial lead
              > Mouser PN 140-XRL50V3300
              > $2.72
              >
              > 3300uf/50V axial lead
              > Mouser Part #: 140-XAL50V3300
              > $4.51
              >
              > The cabinet and front panel are both high dollar items. Expect to
              > pay ~$100 for a cabinet and $100 to $200 for the FP. That's my
              > guess, anyway
              >
              > alltare
              > ==============================
              >
              > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "nickinthecity2000"
              > <nickinthecity2000@y...> wrote:
              > >

              > > I got the mainboard for an Altair 680 off ebay, and am trying to
              > > collect all the components so i can start the project.
              > >
              > > Here is the deal though, since this dates back to 1976, some of
              the
              > > componets don't seem to exist anymore. I am looking for a
              bridge
              > > rectifer of model # VJ048, and a 3300 uf, 50 volt capacitor.
              > >

              > > I'm reluctant to subsitute anything in the bridge rectifer
              because
              > > its part of the power supply. i am probally never going to see
              an
              > > unbuilt altair board again!!! I can't seem to find a 3300 uf,
              50
              > > volt capacitor but found a 2200 uf, 50 volt, can i substuaitue
              > > this? I'm afraid if the wrong voltages get sent to the pins on
              the
              > > ic's, i could have trouble.
              > >

              > > Also, eventually i will need to find an Altair 680 case, and the
              > > front panel board. if any has, or would sell these let me know.
              > >

              > > Thanks for the help,
              > >
              > > Nicky
            • UEOGUY-H.E.ROBT
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 15, 2005
                What was it used for in the circuit? Was it a CMOS chip?

              • nickinthecity2000
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 15, 2005
                  I do remeber it being listed somewhere as a cmos chip but i am
                  unsure. As I said in another post, I have never built a project
                  this big.

                  I'll do scan of the parts lists and schematic later, so you all will
                  have a better idea of what i am talking about.

                  --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "UEOGUY-H.E.ROBT"

                • nickinthecity2000
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 15, 2005
                    I did a search on digikey and got several type chips for the same
                    number. i'm guessing it is a line driver though. the 680 did have
                    a built in terminal interface.

                    I'm trying to build this with a schematic printed off the internet,
                    and a parts list printed from popular electronics, its not working.
                    I am going to have buy the actual manual from altairmanuals.com

                    hopefully someone heres knows what this chip does, and where i can
                    get it.

                    Nicky

                    <ueoguy@y...> wrote:
                    > What was it used for in the circuit? Was it a CMOS chip?
                    >
                    > nickinthecity2000 wrote:
                    >
                    > >Do you know where i can find a 4449 ic?
                    > >

                    > >--- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <alltare@y...>
                    > >wrote:
                    > >

                    > >>Nicky,
                    > >>
                    > >>Welcome to the group.
                    > >>
                    > >>Those aren't unusual parts at all. Digikey, Mouser, etc., all
                    have
                    > >>what you need. Using a 2200uf cap might allow too much AC
                    ripple
                    > >>into the power supply, and that can do strange things to digital
                    > >>circuits. I wouldn't use it. At mouser.com, a quick search
                    found
                    > >>these items. I'm sure this is not a complete list of acceptable
                    > >>parts:
                    > >>
                    > >>Rectron MP1505W (wire leads) appears to be an equivalent part to
                    > >>VJ048.
                    > >>15 amps/ 50PIV.
                    > >>Mouser Part #: 583-MP1505-W
                    > >>$2.00
                    > >>See their data sheet.
                    > >>
                    > >>3300uf/50V cap radial lead
                    > >>Mouser PN 140-XRL50V3300
                    > >>$2.72
                    > >>
                    > >>3300uf/50V axial lead
                    > >>Mouser Part #: 140-XAL50V3300
                    > >>$4.51
                    > >>
                    > >>The cabinet and front panel are both high dollar items. Expect
                    > >>pay ~$100 for a cabinet and $100 to $200 for the FP. That's my
                    > >>guess, anyway
                    > >>
                    > >>alltare
                    > >>==============================
                    > >>
                    > >>--- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "nickinthecity2000"

                    > >the

                    > >bridge

                    > >because

                    > >an

                    > >50

                    > >the

                    > >---- SPECIAL NOTICE CONCERNING "SPAM" ----
                    > >If this message appears to be junk mail that has nothing to do
                    with our group, there are things you can do to prevent receiving
                    more of the same. Go to our Yahoo group's website, sign in, open
                    the FILES folder, and read the text file called "Blocking Spam" for
                    infomation about your options.
                    > >--- Steve, your group moderator
                    > >
                    > >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • horacehall
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 22, 2005
                      Nicky,
                      Got your email & replied, & that reminded me to look into the Group,
                      since I'd not been here in ages.

                      The 4449 is apparently the same as a 4009. My kit manual listed the
                      part as "4449(4009)" and as chip location BB on the mainboard.
                      Schematics show chip location BB is a hex inverting buffer, and that is
                      what a 4009 chip is.

                      I don't think you can jump 64K into the mainboard, because I think the
                      complete set of memory address lines were only brought out to the edge
                      connector for the expansion board. Best solution might be to build an
                      expansion board and find or build a RAM card. Old cards are around but
                      hard to find. I designed & built an interface card that allowed me to
                      use SS-50 cards in the 680, since they were a more successful line of
                      6800 system products back then.

                      Your biggest hurdle to completing a working board is finding the
                      Monitor ROMs that contain the firmware 'operating system'. My manuals
                      included ROM listings that could be used to program ROMs, though, if
                      one were that dedicated. I also figured out how make socket adapters to
                      use the superior SwTPC Swatbug ROMs in the 680 (which also let me kick
                      the clock speed up to 1MHz) but they are probably unobtainium these
                      days.
                      --Wayne
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 22, 2005
                        Wayne-

                        What typr of ROMs/PROMS did SWTPC use for Swatbug? 2708s?

                        steve
                        ===================================

                        --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, horacehall <no_reply@y...>
                        wrote:

                        > ... I also figured out how make socket adapters to
                        > use the superior SwTPC Swatbug ROMs in the 680 (which also let me
                        kick
                        > the clock speed up to 1MHz) but they are probably unobtainium these
                        > days.
                        > --Wayne
                      • horacehall
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 28, 2005
                          > What typr of ROMs/PROMS did SWTPC use for Swatbug? 2708s?

                          I don't know Steve. It was a small program, just 1K, on a single chip.
                          A ROM type chip, not UV erasable type chip. No standard part number on
                          it, just the SWTP logo and "SWATBUG 1.0".

                          --Wayne
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 29, 2005
                            Too bad. I was wondering if we could burn the code to
                            a 1702 EPROM for other 680 owners to try.

                            steve
                            ============================

                            wrote:

                            > > What typr of ROMs/PROMS did SWTPC use for Swatbug? 2708s?
                            >
                            > I don't know Steve. It was a small program, just 1K, on a single
                            chip.
                            > A ROM type chip, not UV erasable type chip. No standard part number
                            on
                            > it, just the SWTP logo and "SWATBUG 1.0".
                            >
                            > --Wayne
                          • horacehall
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 1, 2005
                              > I was wondering if we could burn the code to
                              a 1702 EPROM for other 680 owners to try. <

                              Perhaps the program could be burned into 4 1702's? There are program
                              listings. You can find some online so you wouldn't have to hand key the
                              contents again: http://www.swtpc.com/mholley/swtbug/SWTBUG_Index.htm
                              --Wayne
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jun 8, 2005
                                Wayne,

                                A lot of SWTBUG looks like it's SWTPC-specific, so it would seem to
                                be of limited value. Also, required RAM must be installed at memory
                                addresses A000 thru A07, which may be a problem for some users. I
                                need to completely read the docs to see if it's viable. You said
                                that you have actually used this chip in an Altair?

                                Since we have the listing, I could hand-key the code into my
                                programmer and blast it into some 1702s, but no guarantees about
                                functionality.

                                alltare