Re: [Altair Computer Club] "Top Five Vintage Computers Turn Dust into Dollars"

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2005
      Thanks Erik. I should have mentioned that you were one of the people
      quoted in that article.

      I suppose any computing or calculating device that's at least as old
      as the Altair must be worth something. Wouldn't you love to go
      through Railway Express's lost baggage department (wherever that may
      now be) and find the prototype Altair that was to be pictured on
      Popular Electronics' cover? I'm sure an Apple 1's value would pale
      by comparison. Some slide rules are now worth thousands, old
      mechanical calculators are, too.

      The IMSAI was not the first PC, but is has the interesting
      distinction of being the first clone. I guess that must add to it's
      value. I remember 'way back in the old days' when the only choices
      for a "real" PC were Altair and IMSAI.

      alltare
      =========================

      --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Erik S. Klein"
      <Lifo@p...> wrote:
      > I listed several lesser-known pre-Altair machines such as the
      Kenbak-1,
      > Mark-8 and Scelbi along with my other suggestions but it's hard to
      validate
      > pricing on machines that rarely change hands and are so poorly
      recognized
      > outside of the collector community.
      >

      > The published list is pretty damn good, though! :-)
      >

      > Erik Klein
      >
      > www.vintage-computer.com <http://www.vintage-computer.com/>
      >
      > www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum
      >
      > The Vintage Computer Forum