"Top Five Vintage Computers Turn Dust into Dollars"

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2005
      EWeek online magazine has an interesting article called "Top Five
      Vintage Computers Turn Dust into Dollars" at
      http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1780863,00.asp .

      Altair's in the list, of course, along with Apple 1, Lisa, PDP8, and
      IMSAI.

      alltare
    • Erik S. Klein
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2005
        I listed several lesser-known pre-Altair machines such as the Kenbak-1,
        Mark-8 and Scelbi along with my other suggestions but it's hard to validate
        pricing on machines that rarely change hands and are so poorly recognized
        outside of the collector community.

        The published list is pretty damn good, though! :-)

        Erik Klein

        www.vintage-computer.com <http://www.vintage-computer.com/>

        www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum

        The Vintage Computer Forum

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2, 2005
          Thanks Erik. I should have mentioned that you were one of the people
          quoted in that article.

          I suppose any computing or calculating device that's at least as old
          as the Altair must be worth something. Wouldn't you love to go
          through Railway Express's lost baggage department (wherever that may
          now be) and find the prototype Altair that was to be pictured on
          Popular Electronics' cover? I'm sure an Apple 1's value would pale
          by comparison. Some slide rules are now worth thousands, old
          mechanical calculators are, too.

          The IMSAI was not the first PC, but is has the interesting
          distinction of being the first clone. I guess that must add to it's
          value. I remember 'way back in the old days' when the only choices
          for a "real" PC were Altair and IMSAI.

          alltare
          =========================

          --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Erik S. Klein"
          <Lifo@p...> wrote:
          > I listed several lesser-known pre-Altair machines such as the
          Kenbak-1,
          > Mark-8 and Scelbi along with my other suggestions but it's hard to
          validate
          > pricing on machines that rarely change hands and are so poorly
          recognized
          > outside of the collector community.
          >

          > The published list is pretty damn good, though! :-)
          >

          > Erik Klein
          >
          > www.vintage-computer.com <http://www.vintage-computer.com/>
          >
          > www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum
          >
          > The Vintage Computer Forum