Re: [Altair Computer Club] Archiving Software (was PICOMM computers by Potter Instrument Co, New York?)

  • UEOGUY-H.E.ROBT
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 16, 2005
      Steve,

      Thanks for the link to the Vintage list, interesting, as in High School,
      one of my buddies had a line on getting one of those MinuteMan systems!

      Everybody,

      With regards to the software archive, I for one wouldn't mind "makin'
      copies" (excuse the SNL ref, I couldn't help myself!) I can produce
      Altair 8" disks, and paper tape, maybe even cassette tape....maybe? I
      think I still even have a spool of laminated metallesized mylar around
      for archive! I'm not sure if my drives are in perfect alignment, (I
      can't pick up an alignment disc on ebay to save my life!) We could keep
      binaries on the Yahoo site that could be downloaded and uplinked through
      the MBL prom type loader like Andy K's site? ...speaking of which, I
      still can't get any of his binaries to load, with the exception of the
      4K basic, everything else gives a "CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC" checksum, somewhere
      in the middle of loading.

      Anyone else have this problem, or do I just have a "BUM" MBL Prom?

      I think as long as we apply the roman catholic cannon law on holy
      relics, to what we do, we can't get into too much trouble on
      copyrights??? That being that the relic can not be sold, but the
      reliquary housing it can be sold, with the contents being a gift.

      So if "members only" need an archive copy of BASIC or DOS, or what ever,
      they could be made and distributed much like the manual copies you
      produce, for the media and duplication costs, not the contents.

      Comments from others? And what software do we have out there to share,
      er, I mean "archive"?

      Just Bob!