Boards?

  • rammsteinfreak72
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 4, 2004
      Hello. I am new to the group, and I was wondering where I could get
      the PCBs for an Altair, or maybe where I could get the images
      necessary to etch them myself. Any help would be appreciated!

      Kaleb Eubank
      rammmsteinfreak72@...
    • Erik S. Klein
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 4, 2004
        I have scanned images of the 4 slot motherboards, at least, on my site
        at www.vintage-computer.com/altair8800.shtml.

        There are images of some of the boards in the Altair manuals, although
        I'm not sure if they are of the quality to silkscreen/etch boards from.
        . .

        Erik Klein

        www.vintage-computer.com <http://www.vintage-computer.com/>

        www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum

        The Vintage Computer Forum

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 4, 2004
          Welcome to the group.

          Most MITS/Altair manuals don't include PCB artwork, so you're not
          likely to have any luck finding factory original drawings. You could
          always create your own PCBs from the schematics that are available,
          but your boards wouldn't look like the originals, of course, and
          therefore wouldn't have much collector value. Sometimes a bare board
          will turn up on ebay but for the most part, buying existing stuffed
          boards (or complete systems) will be the easiest way to go. Altair
          boards were all double-sided: Do you have the facilities to make
          plated-through holes?

          Specifically, which boards do you want? MITS made LOTS of PCBs.
          Just the basic 8080 computer will require at least 4 boards (power
          supply, front panel , CPU, and one to four mother boards). RAM, I/O,
          and other interface boards would still be needed.

          If you're willing to go with an Altair clone computer, there are
          quite a few IMSAI 8080 do-it-yourself items at
          http://www.imsai.net/ (but no artwork). Read the interesting
          information about the "War Games" IMSAI there, too.

          steve
          ===================

          --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "rammsteinfreak72"
          <rammsteinfreak72@y...> wrote:

          > Hello. I am new to the group, and I was wondering where I could get
          > the PCBs for an Altair, or maybe where I could get the images
          > necessary to etch them myself. Any help would be appreciated!
          >
          > Kaleb Eubank
          > rammmsteinfreak72@y...
        • rammsteinfreak72
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 5, 2004
            I'm looking for the basic boards you named. If somebody still had one
            of the Drilling and Etching Guides around, that would be wonderful.
            That is, if they might be willing to copy it for me. As of now, no I
            don't, but I'm checking into it. I would hate to have a company do
            them for 50$+ per board. I can't afford it. I've managed to dig up a
            RAM card manual with the artwork, but I can't remember the brand
            right now...

            --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <alltare@y...>
            wrote:

            > Welcome to the group.
            >
            > Most MITS/Altair manuals don't include PCB artwork, so you're not
            > likely to have any luck finding factory original drawings. You
            could
            > always create your own PCBs from the schematics that are available,
            > but your boards wouldn't look like the originals, of course, and
            > therefore wouldn't have much collector value. Sometimes a bare
            board
            > will turn up on ebay but for the most part, buying existing stuffed
            > boards (or complete systems) will be the easiest way to go. Altair
            > boards were all double-sided: Do you have the facilities to make
            > plated-through holes?
            >
            > Specifically, which boards do you want? MITS made LOTS of PCBs.
            > Just the basic 8080 computer will require at least 4 boards (power
            > supply, front panel , CPU, and one to four mother boards). RAM,
            I/O,
            > and other interface boards would still be needed.
            >
            > If you're willing to go with an Altair clone computer, there are
            > quite a few IMSAI 8080 do-it-yourself items at
            > http://www.imsai.net/ (but no artwork). Read the interesting
            > information about the "War Games" IMSAI there, too.
            >
            > steve
            > ===================
            >

            > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "rammsteinfreak72"
            > <rammsteinfreak72@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello. I am new to the group, and I was wondering where I could
            get
            > > the PCBs for an Altair, or maybe where I could get the images
            > > necessary to etch them myself. Any help would be appreciated!
            > >
            > > Kaleb Eubank
            > > rammmsteinfreak72@y...
          • nmcs_ron
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 8, 2004
              I'm the guy [and former MITS Engineer] who sold most of the bare
              boards to MITS, and not sure if I kept any or threw them all out upon
              moving the office home. Someday I'll get a chance to look. Biggest
              stash was all the multi-variations of memory cards they used.

              I also have full-size copies of some the artwork [again, somewhere]
              but you've got to understand, MITS modded their boards every day, and
              we were constantly stopping production and throwing out boards [which
              IF and WHEN they paid for their mistakes we were only too happy to
              do] so the boards and/or drawings you might get from ANY source may
              have been ultimately replaced by dozens of new updates.

              I also have boxes of original invoice copies of various components
              [LED's, AMD and NEC parts, cables/connectors/sockets as well as the
              PCB's] I also sold to MITS.

              If I thought there was a waiting market for some/all of that stuff
              [read "gainful activity" here] I might get my butt in gear and drag
              all that stuff out........RON