LINUX InstallFest Saturday Sept. 25th, BCSC, 9AM- >3PM

  • nmcs_ron
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 4, 2004
      This is the announcement you may have heard today [if you're an
      Albuquerquean] on both local computer radio shows. You'll see this
      and MUCH more if you go to:

      and it'll be held in the very same room as in all those photos I
      mentioned in the previous post...........RON
      To Non-NMCS Members Listening On the Electric Radio:

      Here's a collection of segments of E-Mails over the past month I
      pasted together in order to give you a taste of what the InstallFest
      on Sept. 25th will address. It's kind of a long "FAQ" version. If
      you need any more info, drop a note to the NMCS-JOIN owner address
      below this box.... Thanks--Hope to see you the 25th, and remember--
      It's always a fabulous potluck, so gather up a "food contribution"
      and come spend the day with us !!!..............RON
      And here's the announcement I posted on the NMCS Messages. Unless you
      are also a member of NMCS/NMCS-WUG, you'll get a bunch of 404's, but
      if you haven't seen that LINUX SlideShow [1.8 megs] that Michael put
      on, let me know off-group and after I collect all the addresses I'll
      send it out to all who asked.

      Please pay particular attention to the "Bring" list, and so I don't
      get into trouble, the FOOD. Some of these NMCS wives are the best
      cooks anywhere ! And remember--the most important rule in the
      universe is-----The higher the chocolate content the better !!
      [Awright....bring some "main dish" food too....geez !!!!].

      Here's the map:
      http://member.apcug.org/nmcs/maptobccc.gif
      LINUX InstallFest Saturday Sept. 25th, BCSC, 9AM->3PM
      It's almost here--Amongst the fervor of the potluck, election of
      officers, prize drawings, flea market, Lexus auction and Greek belly
      dancing, the Windows Users Group will be sponsoring a LINUX
      InstallFest ! We'll have experts there from the NM Open Source Users
      Group [http://NMOSUG.org], maybe also from the NM LINUX Users Group
      [http://NMLUG.org], and lots of other really smart LINUX-folk.

      You can bring that old boat anchor your wife has been threatening to
      donate [to WHO ?] and breathe new life into it with a fresh install
      of any of many distros of LINUX. Bring your 386 up [although the
      faster the Pentium the better], 64 megs/3 GB and a CD-ROM drive [read
      the August 19th meeting notes referenced below]. If your HDD isn't
      partitioned, don't worry about it--just be forewarned we EXPECT
      Windows and all your files to still be there AFTER the partitioning
      and LINUX install, BUT............ [I said "EXPECT", so backup,
      backup, or Ghost/DriveImage it].

      Bring a spindle of blank CD's to copy all the distros you want [see
      http://www.linuxiso.org and http://nmlug.org/links.html for an idea
      of how many there are--and that's not the complete list]....and:
      Bring a [surge] power strip, small monitor, KBd and mouse.
      If you can also bring a heavy power cord [25 feet or more].

      AND PUT YOUR NAME AND PHONE NUMBER ON E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G !

      We decided against the networked mass-install, so you can use the
      computers in Room 2 to burn CD's.

      Oh yeah, I promised Liz I'd include the reminder: BRING FOOD FOR THE
      POTLUCK [geeks gotta eat].

      For blasts from the past:
      The August 19th meeting notes were printed in the BitStream available
      at: http://www.theNMCS.us/randbgt
      Download the PDF or ZIP file and you'll find the meeting notes on
      page 4.

      Soon, the BitStream for September will be posted at:
      http://member.apcug.org/nmcs/bit0409bitstream.htm

      More materials are available for your review at:

      ..........Here's the SlideShow from that night:
      LinuxDesktopWUG--Modified NMCS.ppt
      LINUX Presentation to WUG Aug.19th, 2004

      ..........and on the same page the educational articles:
      The Future of Windows.txt ....and
      Will LINUX Replace Windows ?

      If you want to re-read the notes from that meeting, click on:
      WUG Monthly Meeting Notes-2004
      Agendas Before & Meeting Notes After Each Meeting.

      ...............And look inside this folder for:
      WUG+NMOSUG=LUG Meeting Aug 19, 2004.txt
      August 19th, 2004--Introduction to LINUX--How To Install & Run,
      Comparisons To Windows, and Announcement About The Upcoming Install
      Fest.

      ..............and meeting pictures are at:
      [These were the early birds who got there before the "Big Room"
      filled up and we ran out of chairs !].

      If you haven't been to the Links page recently you might want to re-
      visit it--there's lots of new info there too:

      Finally, here's some more bathroom reading material:
      http://nmlug.org/projects.html

      See ya' on the 25th !!!.......RON
      Forty members, visitors, and even a sleeping youngster attended
      August's WUG meeting where guest speaker and Co-Director of the NM
      Open Source Users group [NMOSUG.org] Michael Tolle held us spellbound
      with his very thorough explanation of the various distros of LINUX,
      open-source software, and comparisons, ease of migration and file
      compatibilities of many operating systems including LINUX
      advantages/disadvantages compared to Windows.

      He installed Xandros LINUX on Dave Engle's machine, although I think
      a $5 bill inserted in each of the two open RAM slots in Ron
      DeLashmutt's machine would have also rendered that install
      successful! 'Nuff said--we learned 64 megs and 3 gigs is the key.

      Thanks also to Kevin Karns [of NMLUG.org] for driving down from
      Espanola to distribute FREE copies of Knoppix 3.2 to the attendees.
      We still have a few--available at the InstallFest.

      And thanks to Larry "Woody" Wood for offering info on "Burning ISO
      images" at http://www.linuxiso.org/ . Virtually all distros are
      downloadable here !

      Watch your mailbox for news of the upcoming all-day [9AM-to-3PM
      Saturday likely] Open Source InstallFest. You can bring your own
      vintage/legacy machine with either a formatted blank HDD or second
      drive, or partitioned C: drive with CD-ROM drive and NIC card and
      we'll hook all the machines together in groups and mass-install [or
      CD-install] LINUX on your machine. And if you bring a spindle of
      blank CD's, you'll go home with copies of as many distributions as
      you care to copy !!!

      Ron DeLashmutt
      Final Reminder: This Thursday's WUG-->LINUX Transformation
      BCSC Room 6 [A.K.A. "The Big Room"]

      THIS is the Thursday night you've been waiting for ! We'll take a
      perfectly-running $15 [WIN'95 SR-2] machine [yippee] that has had a
      second partition added with System Commander just like Ron J. showed
      you and add one of several LINUX distributions into it, making it
      dual-boot. Michael Tolle from the NM Open Source Users Group [
      http://NMOSUG.org ] will be here to explain open-source and all it's
      ramifications, the various Windows/LINUX similarities and differences
      [Open Office/MS Office, etc.], and how the LINUX world [which just
      surpassed MAC OS in terms of installed base] is planning on replacing
      Windows in many desktops and laptops.

      OK--Here's what Michael asked for as a "typical" machine [start
      checking your closets and under your workbench]:

      "OK, let me clarify host machine requirements. I'm looking for some
      machine whose HD contents you can afford to lose. I say that because
      we are installing an operating system here; if something goes wrong
      we will end up wiping the hard drive. In practice, if we're careful
      and read the screens and all (that's the whole point of doing an
      InstallFest: to benefit from someone else's experience) there should
      be no problem. So, NO, you don't need to wipe Win95 from your
      machine. To dual boot Win95 and Linux, I recommend this setup: Win95
      in the first primary partion and marked active. Then make an extended
      partition of at least 1.5 GIG for Linux. The Linux installer will
      setup Linux in the extended partition and rewrite the master boot
      record so as to allow for boot from either Win95 or Linux."

      So I dragged out from my extensive computing machinery archive [crap
      pile] the following machine I will come to call the LINUX Monster:
      You can access the before and after-partitioning pictures of the
      innards n' gizzards at the URL:

      and:
      20LINUX.htm

      or if that doesn't work, just go to:

      and look for:
      PowerSpec233_WIN95+ LINUX.htm
      Monster Machine After LINUX Partition
      and
      PowerSpec233_WIN95.htm
      Monster Machine B-4 LINUX Partition
      Here are the evening's topics [more or less]:

      "Well here's my crack at what I need to talk about on August 19:

      Background (20 minutes)
      What is a desktop operating system?
      What are some other operating system choices besides Windows?
      What is Linux?
      What makes Linux a good choice for an operating system?
      Brief history of development.
      How can software be free?

      Transitioning to Linux from Windows (30 minutes)
      What is a Linux distribution?
      How Do I obtain a Linux distribution?
      Hardware requirements?
      How To install?
      How different from Windows.
      Advantages/Disadvantages compared to Windows [AntiVirus, etc.]
      How to achieve desktop functionality with Linux.

      Q & A and play with the system we installed during the talk (till
      close)"
      Here's where we're headed: Within the next month or so NMCS will
      sponsor an all-day [9AM-to-3PM Saturday likely] Open Source
      InstallFest. You can bring your own vintage/legacy machine with
      either a formatted blank HDD or second drive, or partitioned C: drive
      [like in my example] with CD-ROM drive and NIC card and we'll hook
      all the machines together in groups and mass-install [or CD-install]
      LINUX on your machine. Just listen-up Thursday night and try to pre-
      decide which LINUX distribution might be right for you.

      AND, if you bring a spindle of blank CD's, you'll go home with copies
      of as many distributions as you care to copy !!! Bring some blank
      diskettes too--we can reformat them at 1.72 MB if you wish.

      'Zat 'Nuff ?? See ya' Thursday night.........RON D.
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 4, 2004
        Finally!!! Linux for my 8800. Great!

        > LINUX InstallFest Saturday Sept. 25th, BCSC, 9AM->3PM
        ... the Windows Users Group will be sponsoring a LINUX
        > InstallFest ! We'll have experts there from the NM Open Source
        Users
        > Group [http://NMOSUG.org], maybe also from the NM LINUX Users Group
        > [http://NMLUG.org], and lots of other really smart LINUX-folk.
        >
        > You can bring that old boat anchor your wife has been threatening
        > donate [to WHO ?] and breathe new life into it with a fresh install
        > of any of many distros of LINUX.
      • H.E. Robert, [Just Bob!]
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 4, 2004
          Steve, how many 1702A's would that take to make it PROM resident?
          Just Bob!

          Steve wrote:

          > Finally!!! Linux for my 8800. Great!
          >
          > steve
          > > LINUX InstallFest Saturday Sept. 25th, BCSC, 9AM->3PM
          > ... the Windows Users Group will be sponsoring a LINUX
          > > InstallFest ! We'll have experts there from the NM Open Source
          > Users
          > > Group [http://NMOSUG.org], <http://NMOSUG.org%5D,> maybe also from
          > the NM LINUX Users Group
          > > [http://NMLUG.org], <http://NMLUG.org%5D,> and lots of other really
          > smart LINUX-folk.
          > >
          > > You can bring that old boat anchor your wife has been threatening
          > > donate [to WHO ?] and breathe new life into it with a fresh install
          > > of any of many distros of LINUX.
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1299u0g9c/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=groups/S=1705566162:HM/EXP=1094442713/A=2319498/R=0/SIG=11thfntfp/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185352&partid=5285298>

        • wtsnet
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 5, 2004
            I'll need the audio cassette version for my 680. If that doesn't
            work, maybe I can run Linux by using Microsoft Virtual PC and XP Pro.

            Tom
            www.virtualaltair.com

            --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "H.E. Robert, [Just
            Bob!]" <robert@a...> wrote:
            > Steve, how many 1702A's would that take to make it PROM resident?
            > Just Bob!
            >
            > Steve wrote:
            >
            > > Finally!!! Linux for my 8800. Great!
            > >
            > > steve
            > > ==========================
            > >
            > > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "nmcs_ron"
            <NMCS_Ron@M...>
            > > wrote:
            > > > This is the announcement you may have heard today [if you're an
            > > > Albuquerquean] on both local computer radio shows. You'll see
            this
            > > > and MUCH more if you go to:
            > > > ========================================================
            > > > LINUX InstallFest Saturday Sept. 25th, BCSC, 9AM->3PM
            > > > ========================================================
            > > ... the Windows Users Group will be sponsoring a LINUX
            > > > InstallFest ! We'll have experts there from the NM Open Source
            > > Users
            > > > Group [http://NMOSUG.org], <http://NMOSUG.org%5D,> maybe also
            from
            > > the NM LINUX Users Group
            > > > [http://NMLUG.org], <http://NMLUG.org%5D,> and lots of other
            really
            > > smart LINUX-folk.
            > > >
            > > > You can bring that old boat anchor your wife has been
            threatening
            > > > donate [to WHO ?] and breathe new life into it with a fresh
            install
            > > > of any of many distros of LINUX.
            > >

            > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1299u0g9c/M=298184.5285298.6392945.30011
            76/D=groups/S=1705566162:HM/EXP=1094442713/A=2319498/R=0/SIG=11thfntf
            p/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185352&partid=5285298>

            subject=Unsubscribe>