Re: Newbie

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2004
      Jerome,

      Your guess about it being a tape interface makes sense to me.

      One of the quirks of Yahoo is that only the person who posted a photo
      and the group moderator are able to see the full size image.
      Everyone else has to live with a so-called "screen size" image that's
      usually only about 400 pixels wide. You can get around this by
      posting your image in the FILES folder rather than the PHOTOS
      folder. I've created a folder in FILES called JEROME, and I've put
      the full size image there.

      Besides doing the checks that Larry discussed, take the time to read
      through the message archives about other memory problems. You might
      find something useful. Also, check the white wires that run from the
      first mother board to the front panel. It's common to have one or
      more of them break off where they're soldered. Your computer was
      built a little differently than most. Usually, the first mother
      board was installed fully to the right side (as viewed from the
      front) of the computer. The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th mothers would then be
      added to the left of the 1st one. Your builder started in the
      middle. There's nothing wrong with that, but it does leave the white
      wires a little more vulnerable and messy than would otherwise be the
      case. Look at pictures of other 8800s and you'll see what I mean.

      You probably already know this, but let me give this warning anyway.
      When you're troubleshooting, NEVER pull a board out of the buss with
      the computer powered up. You'll most likely cause catastrophic
      damage. This has been discussed in the archives too.

      Steve

      --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "caljer" <caljer@y...>