Re: [Altair Computer Club] Re: Newbie

  • Erik Klein
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2004
      Which store in Mountain View was it? I work off of Castro and would be curious if I'd ever passed it and missed the old box.

      I've seen similar memory issues on my machines before. One possible issue could be a simple short in the bus. If one of the memory lines is shorted to another tied high or low then you might see a "stuck bit' situation.

      BTW, only some of the messages in this thread are making it to my inbox for some reason. I never did see your original post. . .

      Erik Klein
      www.vintage-computer.com
      www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum
      The Vintage Computer Forum

      caljer <caljer@...> wrote:
      Thx Steve. Exactly, window dressing!
      I try to run the small addition program from the manual, but as I
      said in my first post, whatever I deposit in a memory location has
      bit D4 ON. (i.e. if I Deposit 00 000 000, I get 00 010 000 when I
      Examine) So I have to check the wiring. I already cleaned the edge
      connectors. The wiring is a little more involved...
      Any other idea for this kind of behavior?

      I posted a higher def pic of the wire wrap board. The board has an
      UART TMS 6011 and two 555. I believe that it was wired as a dual
      function tape recorder interface and serial interface. But it's a
      guess based on connectors as well as schematics in the binder.

      Jerome

      --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <alltare@y...>
      wrote:
      > Thanks for posting the pictures. Your computer looks pretty
      clean.
      > Was the music store using it for anything other than a blinky-light
      > window dressing? Have you been able to run any programs on it
      yet?
      > What's the function of the blue wire wrap board in the pictures
      > labeled "MyAltair8800_10" and "MyAltair8800_11"?
      >
      > Steve
      > ==========================
      >
      > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "caljer" <caljer@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > Hello,
      > >
      > > I'm the proud owner of a MITS Altair 8800 serial# 222027K
      acquired
      > > sometime in 2003. I got it from a music store in Mountain View,
      CA.

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2004
        Jerome,

        Your guess about it being a tape interface makes sense to me.

        One of the quirks of Yahoo is that only the person who posted a photo
        and the group moderator are able to see the full size image.
        Everyone else has to live with a so-called "screen size" image that's
        usually only about 400 pixels wide. You can get around this by
        posting your image in the FILES folder rather than the PHOTOS
        folder. I've created a folder in FILES called JEROME, and I've put
        the full size image there.

        Besides doing the checks that Larry discussed, take the time to read
        through the message archives about other memory problems. You might
        find something useful. Also, check the white wires that run from the
        first mother board to the front panel. It's common to have one or
        more of them break off where they're soldered. Your computer was
        built a little differently than most. Usually, the first mother
        board was installed fully to the right side (as viewed from the
        front) of the computer. The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th mothers would then be
        added to the left of the 1st one. Your builder started in the
        middle. There's nothing wrong with that, but it does leave the white
        wires a little more vulnerable and messy than would otherwise be the
        case. Look at pictures of other 8800s and you'll see what I mean.

        You probably already know this, but let me give this warning anyway.
        When you're troubleshooting, NEVER pull a board out of the buss with
        the computer powered up. You'll most likely cause catastrophic
        damage. This has been discussed in the archives too.

        Steve