RE: [Altair Computer Club] can someone help?

  • Erik S. Klein
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 20, 2004
      The Altair was hardly the first computer invented (various room to
      building sized machines pre-dated it by as much as 30 years) and it
      wasn't the first "personal computer" ever (the Mark-8 introduced in 1974
      pre-dated it as did a handful of other machines including the Scelbi 8H
      and the Kenbak-1.)

      The Altair was, however, the most influential early personal computer.
      When it was introduced in 1975 it prompted a Harvard student to drop out
      and start writing software (Bill Gates) and when it sold thousands of
      units in its first year it generated the momentum that the hobbyist
      computer movement lacked before that.

      From the Altair's success came the first personal computer bus standard
      and the first personal computer operating system as well as almost
      everything else that eventually resulted in today's personal computer
      revolution.

      Three years after MITS (Micro Instrumentation and Telemetry Systems - a
      calculator kit company) introduced the Altair they were out of business
      and Ed Roberts was starting his second career in medicine.

      Erik Klein

      www.vintage-computer.com <http://www.vintage-computer.com/>

      www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum

      The Vintage Computer Forum