can someone help?

  • theatrebyrd
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 20, 2004
      I am doing a presentation on the invention of computers and to my
      best knowledge Altair was the first computer invented. Is this the
      truth? Does anyone know WHO invented the first Altair Computer
      System?? I am told it was invented in 1975. Can anyone help give me
      some information? If you could either post a reply or email me
      directly at Teaspoon@... that would be wonderful. Thank you
      for your help!!! I appreciate it.
    • Erik S. Klein
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 20, 2004
        The Altair was hardly the first computer invented (various room to
        building sized machines pre-dated it by as much as 30 years) and it
        wasn't the first "personal computer" ever (the Mark-8 introduced in 1974
        pre-dated it as did a handful of other machines including the Scelbi 8H
        and the Kenbak-1.)

        The Altair was, however, the most influential early personal computer.
        When it was introduced in 1975 it prompted a Harvard student to drop out
        and start writing software (Bill Gates) and when it sold thousands of
        units in its first year it generated the momentum that the hobbyist
        computer movement lacked before that.

        From the Altair's success came the first personal computer bus standard
        and the first personal computer operating system as well as almost
        everything else that eventually resulted in today's personal computer
        revolution.

        Three years after MITS (Micro Instrumentation and Telemetry Systems - a
        calculator kit company) introduced the Altair they were out of business
        and Ed Roberts was starting his second career in medicine.

        Erik Klein

        www.vintage-computer.com <http://www.vintage-computer.com/>

        www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum

        The Vintage Computer Forum

        I am doing a presentation on the invention of computers and to my
        best knowledge Altair was the first computer invented. Is this the
        truth? Does anyone know WHO invented the first Altair Computer
        System?? I am told it was invented in 1975. Can anyone help give me
        some information? If you could either post a reply or email me
        directly at Teaspoon@... that would be wonderful. Thank you
        for your help!!! I appreciate it.

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links