CoCoFEST - Dartmouth Time Share System Contest

  • Kip Koon
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 23, 2014

      Hi Basic Language Enthusiasts!

      During the August Meeting of the Glenside Color Computer Club, I suggested that the club present/demo the Dartmouth Time Sharing System Simulator during the CoCoFEST Back To Basics Conference in 2015.  As some of you probably know, two computer programmers who held PHDs in Computer Science invented the Basic All-purpose Symbol Instruction Code (BASIC) programming language at Dartmouth College on a GE-235 Mini-frame computer system and was first brought online one evening in May 1964.  DTSS is a simulator written by one of those creators of BASIC to simulate the actual environment the students at Dartmouth College used to get their coursework calculations done without having to study to become computer programmers – hence the name of the language.

      I also suggested during the Glenside Color Computer Club meeting that maybe we could hold a contest to see what kind of variety of BASIC programs could be created using only the 15 statements and 10 functions provided by this very early version of BASIC which runs on this DTSS Simulator.  Everyone at that meeting were very interested in this idea, so I’m putting out an Official ALL-CALL to EVERYONE in the Color Computer Community World Wide to participate in this contest even if you cannot attend.  Maybe everyone’s programs will be able to be collected together in some form and shared at the CoCoFEST and be available for download from someone’s web site.

      The simulator and all available information, manuals, etc. is available on the DTSS site at the link below.  If you are interested in participating in this contest or just want to see and experience the environment the Creators of the Basic Language programmed on and the students at Dartmouth College had to use, go download this simulator from the following web page.  Also at the bottom of the page, some of the ACTUAL Assembly Language Source Code that ran on the GE-235 computer for the BASIC Compiler has been preserved!  Much of the mnemonics for the GE-235 computer look VERY SIMILAR to 6809 Mnemonics!  It was so cool to be able to see this source code for what may very well be one of the most popular programming languages ever created!

      Link to the DTSS Simulator Web Page.  http://dtss.dartmouth.edu/#download

      These are the links for the software itself.  DTSS Simulator software for [Windows] and [Macintosh].

      It is my hope that everyone who enjoys our beloved Cocos will at least consider this proposal and at some level participate in it.  This could turn out to be quite an interesting experience for us all!  Take care my friends.

      Kip Koon

      computerdoc@...

      http://computerpcdoc.com/