Non-Altair Help Wanted

  • toml_12953
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 7, 2014

      I know this group is for Altairs but none of the other classic computer groups have any activity! My problem is that I have a working Mostek AID-80F and a partial system disk for it but no docs except for copies of some emails from deramp to the previous owner. I added 16K for a total of 64K but now I need a way to SYSGEN a new OS to replace the 48K version I have. I'd like copies of ANY information anyone has on this system! Either hard copies or PDFs of any manuals, command formats, etc. would be welcomed! There's also a generic version of CP/M out there somewhere that I like to get a copy of in IBM SS/SD format. I'm also looking for a complete M/OS-80 (Mostek's customized CP/M) system disk. This seems like a very nice old computer and I'd like to be able to use it fully!

      Please help, if you can!

      TIA

      Tom L

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 7, 2014
        Tom,

        Glad to hear I know the person who bought that computer! You are the only other person I know of that has one of these.

        First, don't plug in any S-100 boards even though the connector is the same -- the pinout (including power) is different.

        I did a lot of digging to learn more about this system last year. MOS-80 is actually a port of Cromemco's CDOS. So find a CDOS manual and you'll be better able to operate MOS-80.

        CDOS in turn, is an upward compatible CP/M clone (as of CP/M version 1.3). Most CP/M applications I have tried work on MOS-80, but not all (e.g., some CP/M 2.2 applications).

        The disk format and file structure is identical to the industry-standard IBM 3740 soft sectored format using the standard CP/M skew factor of 6. I was able to read and archive CP/M 2.2 soft sectored disks for someone else using the Mostek computer.

        I've been in touch with the author of CDOS who was contracted by Mostek to develop MOS-80. It sounds like he has lots of useful information regarding the hardware, the monitor ROMs, and MOS-80 in his garage. He has promised to look through it for me, but I haven't gotten anything from him yet.

        Feel free to contact me by email to dig into the details.