Looking for bootable disks for Altair 8800bt + Micropolis 1053 II drive

  • jadersch
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 1, 2014
      Hi all --

      I've had this turnkey Altair 8800 in my possession for a year or so now and I've finally had some time this week to go over it.  Everything appears nominal -- power supply is OK, and I tested the RAM out using my Fluke 9010.  My machine is outfitted with a Micropolis 1053 II disk drive unit and matching controller (and with boot ROM installed on the turnkey board.)

      On reset, the system appears to attempt to boot, but unfortunately I have no bootable media, and as this is kind of an oddball format (hard sectored, 100tpi) I have no means to create any, even if I had images to start with.  Does anyone out there have the ability to create bootable disks for this setup?

      Thanks,
      Josh
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 1, 2014
        Josh,

        I can probably get you going with Micropolis MDOS and/or CP/M if you'd like. Take some good pictures of the front and back of the floppy disk controller board and also a good picture of the Turnkey board. From these, I can tell how your FDC board and Turnkey boards are configured.

        Mike

      • Josh Dersch
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 1, 2014
          Thanks!

          I've put some pictures of the FDC and Turnkey boards up at:

          http://yahozna.dyndns.org/scratch/altair/

          If you can help me out with this, that would be seriously awesome.

          Thanks again,
          Josh

          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 2, 2014
            Josh,

            Looks like we're on the right track. Your FDC board has boot ROMs on it for the Micropolis drives and the FDC board is strapped at 0xF400. In turn, your Turnkey board is strapped to jump to 0xF400 on restart. Note that in your system, the DBL ROM on the Turnkey board (which is for the Altair FDC and floppy) is not used or accessed.

            Oddly, the serial port on your Turnkey board is strapped at 0x90 instead of 0x10. Either the MSB has accidentally been turned on, or your system has a 2SIO board in it as well. In the latter case, this port was probably "disabled" by changing its address.

            What boards are in your 8800bt in addition to the CPU, Turnkey, and FDC? How much RAM do you have? Are you looking for MDOS or for CP/M?

            Mike

          • Josh Dersch
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 2, 2014
              On 7/2/2014 7:17 AM, deramp5113@... [altaircomputerclub] wrote:

              Josh,

              Looks like we're on the right track. Your FDC board has boot ROMs on it for the Micropolis drives and the FDC board is strapped at 0xF400. In turn, your Turnkey board is strapped to jump to 0xF400 on restart. Note that in your system, the DBL ROM on the Turnkey board (which is for the Altair FDC and floppy) is not used or accessed.

              Oddly, the serial port on your Turnkey board is strapped at 0x90 instead of 0x10. Either the MSB has accidentally been turned on, or your system has a 2SIO board in it as well. In the latter case, this port was probably "disabled" by changing its address.

              Oh interesting -- I hadn't noticed that, and I'd assumed that the turnkey port would be the console port.  There is an IMSAI SIO (rev-3) board installed, which has two serial ports on it.  Looking at the tops of the ribbon cables, they are labeled (now very faintly so I never noticed them) in marker "console" and "printer" so I guess that solves that mystery :).

              What boards are in your 8800bt in addition to the CPU, Turnkey, and FDC? How much RAM do you have? Are you looking for MDOS or for CP/M?

              The aforementioned SIO-2 board, and a 64K ExpandoRAM board with only 48K installed.  I'd love to play with both MDOS and CP/M if possible.  (Having KERMIT or something similar on the CP/M disk would be useful to allow copying stuff over from a PC...)

              Also:  I'm missing the key to this thing (it's stuck in the "power on, front panel locked" position).  Any idea what the key codes are for this to have a replacement made?

              Thanks!
              Josh

              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 2, 2014
                Josh,

                Is there a cable attached to the serial port connector on the Turnkey board that runs to a DB-25 on the rear panel, or are only the IMSAI SIO ports connected to DB-25s on the rear panel?

                If the IMSAI SIO is going to drive the console, I'll I have to see how that board is strapped and update CP/M and MDOS to use the IMSAI SIO serial board instead of the standard Altair serial port. Please post a good picture of the front of the IMSAI board so I can see it's configuration.

                Though it may not be a requirement, it would be really nice to have the Turnkey Monitor PROM(TURMON) installed on your Turnkey board. However, this Altair PROM expects a 6850 serial port at I/O address 010h (typically the 6850 on the Turnkey board). Again, let me know if you have a cable from the Turnkey board to a DB-25 on the rear panel. We may want to use that port to get you going. Someone on this forum could probably burn you a 1702 TURMON PROM.

                Unfortunately, I can't help with the front panel key. Hopefully someone else on this forum with a Turnkey can help.

                Mike

              • wtsnet
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 2, 2014

                  Josh,

                  I have some MITS keys. I don’t know how many codes MITS used. Most keys have a code, but not all. I don’t think the lock has a code. I keep a set for trial and error and duplicate the one that works. This is what I have:

                  U1

                  U10

                  3301

                  37794

                  I have three more that were unlabeled. I named them TS1, TS2, and TS3.

                  I’m guessing a locksmith could make a key from the lock. I could also make a set to loan.

                  What key codes do other club members have? Does anyone want a seven key set?

                  Here is a combined memory map for Vector Graphic and MITS.

                  http://tomsanderson.brinkster.net/vectorgraphic/images/Vector-Memory-map.jpg

                  Note that the standard TURMON RAM address conflicts with the Micropolis controller. Modified TURMONS have been created by other users. The Turnkey RAM can be moved using turnkey board switches. A picture of the back of the Turnkey board would verify that the RAM was not disabled for the 64K mod.

                  W. Tom S.

                • Josh Dersch
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 3, 2014
                    On 7/2/2014 1:49 PM, deramp5113@... [altaircomputerclub] wrote:

                    Josh,

                    Is there a cable attached to the serial port connector on the Turnkey board that runs to a DB-25 on the rear panel, or are only the IMSAI SIO ports connected to DB-25s on the rear panel?

                    Yep.  All three ports (the one on the Turnkey and the two on the SIO board) have cables running to DB-25s on the rear panel.

                    If the IMSAI SIO is going to drive the console, I'll I have to see how that board is strapped and update CP/M and MDOS to use the IMSAI SIO serial board instead of the standard Altair serial port. Please post a good picture of the front of the IMSAI board so I can see it's configuration.

                    You can see a picture at:  http://yahozna.dyndns.org/scratch/altair/sio.jpg.

                    If I'm reading the SIO manual correctly, it's currently jumpered for Programmed I/O, at address 0.

                    Though it may not be a requirement, it would be really nice to have the Turnkey Monitor PROM(TURMON) installed on your Turnkey board. However, this Altair PROM expects a 6850 serial port at I/O address 010h (typically the 6850 on the Turnkey board). Again, let me know if you have a cable from the Turnkey board to a DB-25 on the rear panel. We may want to use that port to get you going. Someone on this forum could probably burn you a 1702 TURMON PROM.

                    That would be handy, I have a 1702 eprom burner/reader kit but I haven't yet had the time to assemble it...

                    Unfortunately, I can't help with the front panel key. Hopefully someone else on this forum with a Turnkey can help

                    No problem at all.  Thanks again for the help with everything else!
                    - Josh

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 3, 2014
                      Everything still looks good. I see two approaches:

                      Without the TURMON PROM, I'll have to create a bootable disk and send it to you. This adds two variables: 1) Will my drive's alignment create a floppy disk that can be read with your drive's current alignment, and 2) do the SIO board, internal serial cable, external serial cable, and your terminal all work properly?

                      With the TURMON PROM, we can prove that the Turnkey board's serial port, wiring and your terminal are working, and we could then write the bootable disk with your own drive using a disk image file I could email you (I have utilities that are easily loaded using TURMON to write disk images files to the Micropolis drives). This eliminates the potential of drive incompatibility. We'll use the Turnkey serial port as the console for CP/M. We could then create a version that uses the IMSAI SIO board if you want.

                      Your FDC is not strapped at the "standard" Vector-Graphic 56K configuration of F800, it is strapped at F400, so there won't be a conflict with TURMON. Frankly, I've seen TURMON versions configured for RAM at FC00, F800 and C000. Your Turnkey board has its RAM at C000, so it may have had one of the "newer" versions of TURMON installed at one time. When you burn the TURMON PROM, we'll have to see what address it loads for the stack pointer so we know where to put RAM.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 3, 2014
                        Now that I think of it, the FC00, F800 and C000 addresses are the values loaded into the stack pointer when TURMON starts, so RAM must actually be located just below those address -- not starting at those addresses. This means the C000 RAM address on your Turnkey switches isn't actually for TURMON since the C000 build of TURMON requires RAM in the eight bytes immediately below C000. Your 48K of RAM will take care of that requirement.

                        We could also set the RAM switches on your Turnkey board to support an FC00 or F800 build of TURMON.

                        Mike
                      • Josh Dersch

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 5, 2014

                            I’ve got some hard-sector disks for the Heathkit H-8/H-17. Will these work for the Micropolis drives (I’ve got a vested interest in the answer)? I’ve lost track of the number of sectors for each application.

                            Jack

[...]

                            No virus found in this message.

                          • Chris Elmquist
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 5, 2014
                              On Saturday (07/05/2014 at 03:33PM +0000), Jack Rubin j@... [altaircomputerclub] wrote:
                              > I’ve got some hard-sector disks for the Heathkit H-8/H-17. Will these work for the Micropolis drives (I’ve got a vested interest in the answer)? I’ve lost track of the number of sectors for each application.

                              Hi Jack...

                              I think the Micropolis, if using a controller based on the original
                              Micropolis design, will require 16-hole hard-sector media while the
                              H8/H-17 stuff as we know, is 10-hole.

                              Chris

                              Chris Elmquist
                            • Jack Rubin
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jul 5, 2014
                                That figures. Thanks.

                                Message 15 of 17 , Jul 5, 2014
                                  I can spare a couple of 16 sector floppies if you don't have any luck finding any. I know a few other people on this forum that have them, but they may not have enough spare diskettes to want to sell any.

                                  In the meantime, I'd also make sure your hub bearings are OK and your door latch mechanism works. Can you easily insert a floppy, close the door, then release the door and remove the floppy? The door latch cam mechanism in these drives needs lots of grease to remain functional. I've also had several Micropolis drives with bad hub bearings. Slide the drive belt off and turn the big hub wheel with your hand. Does it turn freely or do you feel detents or friction as you turn it?

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jul 6, 2014
                                    Josh,

                                    Contact me before you program or get someone else to program a TURMON PROM. I have a version that can load Intel Hex files and the RAM it uses can be specified on the front panel switches. These features will both come in handy.

                                    Mike

                                  • Josh Dersch
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jul 7, 2014
                                      On 7/6/2014 8:20 PM, deramp5113@... [altaircomputerclub] wrote:

                                      Josh,

                                      Contact me before you program or get someone else to program a TURMON PROM. I have a version that can load Intel Hex files and the RAM it uses can be specified on the front panel switches. These features will both come in handy.

                                      Mike

                                      Thanks --  I will let you know.  I need to order up the parts for the programmer this week...

                                      - Josh