Bootloader

  • Don Russ
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 19, 2003
      Does anyone have the source for a bootloader for paper tape through
      the SIO with the motorola chip?

      I have an ALTAIR 8800 that I'm restoring and I would like to see if I
      can boot up the 4K basic by downloading it from a PC. I have
      the .BIN images.

      I have three boards: CPU, SIO and 16K memory.

      Just thought I would try here first.

      Don
    • tomdavidson62
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 19, 2003
        Hmm.. if it's just a raw bin, you could write a bootloader
        it's just a small program.. got an inner loop that waits for
        a bit on the SIO status port, when the bit changes, you read
        the dataport and do a store to the byte addressed by the HL
        register pair, increment the register and jump back into the inner loop.
        You can use the front panel to enter the machine code and
        test the program.. just like the good old days.
      • akessel
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 19, 2003
          I have quite a bit of info on this, with instructions on my website:

          www.altairage.com

          - Andy Kessel

          --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Don Russ"

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 20, 2003
            Andy- You have a very useful web page. Thanks for creating it.
            I've added it to our LINKS folder.

            Steve

            --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, akessel <no_reply@y...>