Brainiac, Geniac, Tiniac computers

  • alltare
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 31, 2014
      Entirely off of the subject of Altairs, but I know that at least a few of you have some interest in these "computers".  Edmund C. Berkely devised the simple electromechanical devices in the 1950s as educational tools to teach Boolean algebra and computer operation.  He ultimately published a book containing the circuits and mechanical design of all of his various machines, entitled "Brainiacs Manuals".  The original books are fairly rare and have recently sold for as much as $500.  However, there is a print-on-demand reprint available now for only $15.  It's published by Gyan Books in India.  I bought my copy through Advanced Book Exchange in the US(abebooks.com), but I suppose you can order direct from Gyan, too.  The reprint has 244 pages and hard cover.  Gyan says they have processed it for making more readable, whatever that means.  My copy is very clear.

      Advanced Book Exchange:
      http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=12413791268

      Gyan Books, India:
      http://www.gyanbooks.com/index.php?p=sr&Uc=1111001967530&l=0

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2, 2014
        I've often considered designing and building a relay-based CPU. This sounds like an interesting book to have. Thanks!

        Mike

      • Jeff Koenig
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 3, 2014
          A PDF of "Brainiacs - The 1958 Experiments", by Edmund C. Berkeley is available for free on archive.org.

          https://ia601705.us.archive.org/29/items/brainiacsmanuals00edmu/brainiacsmanuals00edmu.pdf

          -Jeff

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 3, 2014

            Mike-
            Geniacs et al. aren't relay based computers- They're basically just interconnected switches.  A good FREE introduction can be had at
            http://www.computercollector.com/archive/geniac/
            There are lots of documents and photos there.

            There is a Minivac 601 relay computer on ebay right now at
            http://www.ebay.com/itm/291116631693 .
          • alltare
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 3, 2014
              Jeff-
              Thanks for that link.  Comparing it to the book I bought, it appears to be the identical publication.  Well, I'm out a few bucks, but at least I have a hard copy.  I gotta learn to check those public domain sites more often, though.  Archive.org has a lot of good stuff- I use it often for OTR (old time radio) programs.
              steve