Re: Altair 8800 for sale

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 25, 2003
      Jared has very good pictures of the many boards included with the
      computer, even though the descriptions aren't completely accurate.
      They have a terrible picture of the computer itself, which seems to
      have tape or something(?) all over the front panel and top. In the
      last 3 days, I've sent them two requests for a better picture but so
      far, no answer. I wonder why. If they ever send me some decent
      photos, I'll post them here. I hope they take some internal pictures
      too. Until that happens, CAVEAT EMPTOR.

      Steve
      ====================================

      --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, tammanyweb <no_reply@y...>
      wrote:
      > We are selling our Altair on Ebay
      > Visit
      > http://webwatcher.ws/altair.html
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Jared Farnum
    • tammanyweb
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 27, 2003
        I sent those pictures.
        Be nice.

        Jared

        --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <alltare@y...>

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 27, 2003
          After Jared posted his message here, he sent the following to my
          email account. His comments are in response to the 3rd request for
          pictures that I sent to him this morning:
          ----------------------
          > Date:Sat, 27 Sep 2003 17:28:29 -0500

          > That is not a nice email.

          > I did respond and sent you pictures. Very large and detailed
          pictures at that.

          > You are the only one on that message board who has posted anything
          and I have little motivation and very little time to take any more
          pictures.

          > IF (emphasis on IF) I find the time I the only picture I feel I can
          add, in addition to the ones I already sent may be a top view without
          the cover., but that is > > pretty pointless as every board in it has
          its only individual picture.

          > Jared Farnum
          ---------------------

          Ahem! It appears that we won't be seeing any better pictures of the
          Altair. Photos were never sent to either address from which I
          requested them.

          Well, Jared, good luck with your auction. This is some way to sell a
          product- tell potential customers that you have better things to do.
          Your ignorance of things Altair is obvious, and your attitude will
          result in a less-than-optimal selling price. You'll probably get a
          few more bids, but you certainly won't be setting any sales records.
          You have failed to answer my specific questions about the "stuff" on
          the front panel and top cover. You have failed to tell me whether
          there are any scratches on the front panel. You've now convinced me
          that there's something about that computer that you don't want
          known. If you sell other Altair items in the future, please don't
          post notices here unless you're willing to be more cooperative.

          Steve

          (If you're interested, here's my not-so-nice message that disturbed
          Jared so much):
          -------------------------------

          > Date:Sat, 27 Sep 2003 09:28:58 -0700 (PDT)

          > This is about your ebay auction for the Altair computer, item
          number 2754759260.

          > If you won't answer my previous request for photos, perhaps you'll
          respond to the comment about your auction that's been posted at
          > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/altaircomputerclub/ .

          > Have you noticed that you've had no bids in several days? Maybe
          other people are waiting for better pictures too.

          -------------------------------

          ===============================

          wrote:
          > I sent those pictures.
          > Be nice.
          >
          > Jared
          >
          > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <alltare@y...>
          > wrote:
          > > Jared has very good pictures of the many boards included with the
          > > computer, even though the descriptions aren't completely
          > accurate.
          > > They have a terrible picture of the computer itself, which seems
          > > have tape or something(?) all over the front panel and top. In
          > the
          > > last 3 days, I've sent them two requests for a better picture but
          > so
          > > far, no answer. I wonder why. If they ever send me some decent
          > > photos, I'll post them here. I hope they take some internal
          > pictures
          > > too. Until that happens, CAVEAT EMPTOR.
          > >
          > > Steve
          > > ====================================
          > >
          > > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, tammanyweb
          > <no_reply@y...>
          > > wrote:
          > > > We are selling our Altair on Ebay
          > > > Visit
          > > > http://webwatcher.ws/altair.html
          > > >
          > > > Thanks,
          > > > Jared Farnum
        • Erik S. Klein
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 27, 2003
            One thing he does have going for him is a C8080 on the processor card.
            Those are pretty rare and I've seen just the card and chip break $700.
            The last Altair I saw sell with one went over 3K (although it also had a
            nearly complete set of Computer Notes and some other nice additions.

            Erik Klein

            www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum

            The Vintage Computer Forum

            ---------------------

            -------------------------------

            ===============================

            wrote:
            > I sent those pictures.
            > Be nice.
            >
            > Jared
            >
            > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <alltare@y...>
            > wrote:
            > > Jared has very good pictures of the many boards included with the
            > > computer, even though the descriptions aren't completely
            > accurate.
            > > They have a terrible picture of the computer itself, which seems
            > > have tape or something(?) all over the front panel and top. In
            > the
            > > last 3 days, I've sent them two requests for a better picture but
            > so
            > > far, no answer. I wonder why. If they ever send me some decent
            > > photos, I'll post them here. I hope they take some internal
            > pictures
            > > too. Until that happens, CAVEAT EMPTOR.
            > >
            > > Steve
            > > ====================================
            > >
            > > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, tammanyweb
            > <no_reply@y...>
            > > wrote:
            > > > We are selling our Altair on Ebay
            > > > Visit
            > > > http://webwatcher.ws/altair.html
            > > >
            > > > Thanks,
            > > > Jared Farnum

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3936685.5168404.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
            566162:HM/A=1750876/R=0/SIG=11v1mrq3u/*http:/hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/hit
            ?page=1762-1062629109228440> click here

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=259538.3936685.5168404.1261774/D=egrou
            pmail/S=:HM/A=1750876/rand=813817007>

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 27, 2003
              I sorta like that 256-Byte 1K RAM card, too. That's how they
              supplied them with the early Altair kits.

              =====================================

              A--- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Erik S. Klein"

              ]
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003
                It didn't set a record, but it sold for more than I thought it would
                ($2750). As Erik and others have pointed out to me, it had a
                valuable CPU chip onboard, and that might be what did the trick. I
                do think though, that it would have sold for more with the addition
                of better pictures and description. Maybe the buyer, if he's a
                member here, will give us a report some day.

                Steve