pulling my hair out MITS BASIC

  • B Degnan
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 8, 2014
      I may have asked this before, but I never got an answer

      THe following is a snippet from a MITS Altair BASIC session - why am I getting a syntax error?  Could there be some kind of hidden characters or ??

      Thanks if you all can help.  I am baffled.

      Bill

      OK
      10 FOR K=1 TO 1000
      20 PRINT K;
      30 NEXT K
      40 END
      RUN
      SYNTAX ERROR IN 10
      OK
      10 FOR K=1 TO 1000
    • B Degnan
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 8, 2014
        figured it out...I needed to be running 9600b 7/2 stop bits

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 8, 2014
          Bill,

          It looks OK to me.  The only thing I can think of is that you might have substituted a zero for a letter O somewhere, or vice versa, but the characters look OK in the listing you gave here.

          MITS BASIC is pretty nice in that spaces are almost never required in commands.  For example, it is completely legal to type line 10 as
          "FORK=1TO1000".
          This could be a problem, though, if FORK turns out to be a reserved word (which I don't believe it is).

          Just shooting in the dark here, but have you tried changing the line number to something other than 10?
          Tried changing 1 and 1000 to some other numbers?
          Tried using a different variable letter?
          Tried getting rid of the spaces?
          Tried using the RENUM (renumber) command?
          Did you copy & paste your routine from a word processor or some other source rather than typing it directly into the Altair from your terminal?  Maybe there are some hidden characters or bit 8 is not right.

          None of the above SHOULD make a difference, but then you shouldn't be getting a SN error if all is OK.

          steve
        • alltare
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 8, 2014
            OK- never mind.  I did come close to the solution with my last suggestion, though (screwy bit 8).

            steve