It's a small world

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 8, 2014

      In the early 80's my dad convinced my mom to accept the church treasurer position so he had a good excuse to purchase a computer. He bought a couple of Kaypro computers during the 80's and ran a general ledger accounting package on them. (She's still church treasurer 30+ years later!)

      In the mid 80’s, when my third attempt at starting a small business actually looked like it might make some money, my dad offered to use his computer to keep my books. At this time, my dad was using a Kaypro 10 computer and still running the same accounting software. That business, by the way, is still providing my living 30 years later!

      I now have that Kaypro 10 at my house and recently spent some time running the accounting package on it. The accounting package runs under Microsoft BASIC and is (c)1980 by TCS Corporation. The look and feel of the accounting package was familiar for some reason, and the name, TCS rang a bell as well.

      Tom Sanderson, an integral part of this Altair user's group, worked at MITS/Pertec in the late 70’s as part of the "Altair Software Distribution Company" (ASDC). His work was primarily on an accounting package developed by the ASDC. I have loaded and played with the ASDC accounting software on my Altair in the past. Along with the accounting disks, Tom also has a "TCSCOPY" disk that can copy an Altair disk in about one minute instead of the 30 minutes that the Altair BASIC "PIP" program required.

      You can probably guess where this is going... While using the TCS accounting software on the Kaypro, I booted the ASDC General Ledger package on an Altair so I could compare the two packages. While the newer TCS package has some tweaks and updates, it is clear that the TCS software is still mostly the ASDC accounting package. I was talking with Tom about it and he said, "List line 65529 for me and tell me what's there. It should be a FOR loop for advancing to top of form. It was a common routine in all programs that generate a listing." Sure enough, on both the Kaypro and Altair, line 65529 was the form feed FOR loop!

      So my dad happened to purchase and use an accounting package that was originally written at MITS/Pertec and worked on by Tom Sanderson. On top of that, the first bookkeeping ever done for the business that has provided my livelihood for the last 30 years was also done on this same software! Really makes we wish my dad was still alive – he really enjoyed the early computer days and would love to see and hear about what I'm working on with these vintage computers now.

      Mike D

    • sonicpt
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 9, 2014

        I believe that the TCS Corporation was the same people running the MITS Altair dealership in Atlanta, called The Computer Systemcenter. They opened their MITS dealership a couple of weeks after I opened mine in the Washington, DC area in November 1975.Their software later evolved into Peachtree Software.

        Russell

      • tkaragiris
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 9, 2014

          Great story Mike, thanks for posting.