Re: [Altair Computer Club] What ever happened to daveygf?

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 12, 2003
      As I've said here before, Erik has a nice site that hosts many
      forums, and it's worth visiting. There's a shortcut to his site in
      our LINKS folder. There are advantages to both this and Erik's
      site: VCforum is ad-free and this Yahoo group has ads. If the ads
      really bother you, a popup killer is all that's needed. Yahoo is
      free. That's why there are ads. Someone (Erik) has to pay for
      Erik's site. That's why he has no ads. Vcforum has a nice way of
      threading subjects and the messages are well presented, but it
      doesn't seem to support forwarding the messages by email like Yahoo
      does. Am I mistaken here, Erik? (Personally, I could care less
      because I read the messages online, but many of our members prefer to
      read them as emails). Here's my biggest concern about private
      sponsorship, though: This group site will continue to exist even if
      the moderator gets tired of doing the job. Someone else can simply
      take over as moderator. No insult intended here Erik, but what
      happens to your vcforum if you decide you don't want to sponsor it
      any more? This discussion is really just academic anyway. Our
      respective members will determine which site(s) gets used.

      I don't really see the point in having a more formal club. Why do we
      need club officers? What would they do? Make rules? About what?
      We have no treasury, no requirement to record the minutes, and no
      need for a president (other than to serve as the aformentioned spam
      cop). Although we call this a club, it's simply a message board
      where people talk about their computers. No one is currently being
      censored other than spammers, and no one will be, as long as we avoid
      discussing politics, religion, and way-off-topic subjects. If
      someone wants to maintain any kind of off-site database, there's no
      reason that he can't do so. No one's permission is required, and
      I'll even post a link to the site. I'm sure Erik will do the same
      thing.

      By the way, I've contacted daveygf about his old web page content.
      I'll make the data available as soon as I hear back from him.

      (PS- If you really want a formal club, just send your $50 annual dues
      to me. I promise *something constructive* will be done with the
      proceeds).

      Steve
      =================================

      --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Erik S. Klein"
      <Lifo@p...> wrote:
      > By the same token I would be happy to host the club, the registry
      and
      > any other Altair web items at www.vintage-computer.com
      > <http://www.vintage-computer.com/> and/or the associated message
      board
      > (www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum). We could, for instance,
      relocate
      > the discussions from this group to the VC Forum (in either a public
      or
      > private message area) and eliminate the banner ads and other Yahoo
      > annoyances while maintaining the ease of use, etc.
      >

      > I'd also love to get the original registry information as a starting
      > point and to then build on that with the resources we now have on
      any of
      > the various web sites devoted to old computers or specifically
      Altairs.

      > Count me in as a participant in a more formalized club as Todd has
      > suggested.
      >

      > Erik

      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3856299.5103760.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17
      05

      566162:HM/A=1754451/R=0/SIG=11tkldm5d/*http:/www.netflix.com/Default?
      mqs
      > o=60178323&partid=3856299> click here
      >

      > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
      M=251812.3856299.5103760.1261774/D=egrou
      > pmail/S=:HM/A=1754451/rand=831140267>

    • TMollerup
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 13, 2003
        Steve,

        I would have to agree with your comments regarding a third party
        sponsored message board for the Altair. This Yahoo forum seems best
        for the reasons you mentioned. However, I do believe a more formal
        organization could be welcomed by many. Not in the sense of having
        meetings and collecting dues, but as a means to continue to collect
        and distribute information. Many people are interested in the history
        of technology, especially the Altair, and there isn't a consistent
        force working to make that information easily available to the
        general population. By having an organization, we establish a small
        group who accept responsibility for continuing to add to the
        knowledge and keep the information hosted on the web. This way, past
        efforts won't be or taken off line as the sponsoring individual moves
        on in life.

        I understand your reaction to the club idea, as many clubs are an
        exercise in politics, but here we have a clear mission, with less
        formality. For example, there likely would not be any meetings, just
        emails and projects...low pressure...low key--keep the website up and
        growing--stay focused on the Altair and its historical surroundings.

        What amazes me about the Altair community is the effort already put
        forth. History is right in front of us, and the people who were there
        are still around. Their stories and knowledge need to live beyond
        them. If no one from the next generation takes any interest, this
        part of the world's history will fade.

        Todd
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 21, 2003
          Todd,

          The structure for most of what you propose is already in place here,
          on Erik's pages, and on some other sites. If there's an unexplored
          or underdocumented segment of Altair history that you feel should be
          more thoroughly covered, there are several things you or any other
          member can do, without the necessity of having a mandate from the
          club:
          1) You can post questions to the group;
          2) You can post comments in the form of messages;
          3) You can post photos and files (including reasonably sized 8080
          programs) in the appropriate group folders;
          4) You can find related web pages and post links to them in our
          LINKS folder;
          5) You can create your own web page wherein you can display any
          Altair-related information that you feel is of value. Free web space
          is easily available from Yahoo/Geocities and others. In addition,
          it's only a 5-minute effort to start your own Yahoo group site. If
          you want to take the latter approach, write to me off-group and I'll
          help you do it. With your enthusiasm, I'm sure you can contribute a
          lot.

          Do you get the feeling that I think a formal club isn't a good idea?
          Well, that's true for this Yahoo group, but I'm not saying that it's
          generally a bad idea. In fact, I'll gladly join an off-site formal
          club that you may form. You're welcome to post a link and advertise
          your web page here. It's not the intent of this AltairComputerClub
          to compete with other sites, but to compliment them.

          Steve
          --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, TMollerup <no_reply@y...>