RE: [Altair Computer Club] What ever happened to daveygf?

  • Erik S. Klein
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 11, 2003
      By the same token I would be happy to host the club, the registry and
      any other Altair web items at www.vintage-computer.com
      <http://www.vintage-computer.com/> and/or the associated message board
      (www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum). We could, for instance, relocate
      the discussions from this group to the VC Forum (in either a public or
      private message area) and eliminate the banner ads and other Yahoo
      annoyances while maintaining the ease of use, etc.

      I'd also love to get the original registry information as a starting
      point and to then build on that with the resources we now have on any of
      the various web sites devoted to old computers or specifically Altairs.

      Count me in as a participant in a more formalized club as Todd has
      suggested.

      Erik

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 12, 2003
        As I've said here before, Erik has a nice site that hosts many
        forums, and it's worth visiting. There's a shortcut to his site in
        our LINKS folder. There are advantages to both this and Erik's
        site: VCforum is ad-free and this Yahoo group has ads. If the ads
        really bother you, a popup killer is all that's needed. Yahoo is
        free. That's why there are ads. Someone (Erik) has to pay for
        Erik's site. That's why he has no ads. Vcforum has a nice way of
        threading subjects and the messages are well presented, but it
        doesn't seem to support forwarding the messages by email like Yahoo
        does. Am I mistaken here, Erik? (Personally, I could care less
        because I read the messages online, but many of our members prefer to
        read them as emails). Here's my biggest concern about private
        sponsorship, though: This group site will continue to exist even if
        the moderator gets tired of doing the job. Someone else can simply
        take over as moderator. No insult intended here Erik, but what
        happens to your vcforum if you decide you don't want to sponsor it
        any more? This discussion is really just academic anyway. Our
        respective members will determine which site(s) gets used.

        I don't really see the point in having a more formal club. Why do we
        need club officers? What would they do? Make rules? About what?
        We have no treasury, no requirement to record the minutes, and no
        need for a president (other than to serve as the aformentioned spam
        cop). Although we call this a club, it's simply a message board
        where people talk about their computers. No one is currently being
        censored other than spammers, and no one will be, as long as we avoid
        discussing politics, religion, and way-off-topic subjects. If
        someone wants to maintain any kind of off-site database, there's no
        reason that he can't do so. No one's permission is required, and
        I'll even post a link to the site. I'm sure Erik will do the same
        thing.

        By the way, I've contacted daveygf about his old web page content.
        I'll make the data available as soon as I hear back from him.

        (PS- If you really want a formal club, just send your $50 annual dues
        to me. I promise *something constructive* will be done with the
        proceeds).

        Steve
        =================================

        --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Erik S. Klein"

      • TMollerup
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 13, 2003
          Steve,

          I would have to agree with your comments regarding a third party
          sponsored message board for the Altair. This Yahoo forum seems best
          for the reasons you mentioned. However, I do believe a more formal
          organization could be welcomed by many. Not in the sense of having
          meetings and collecting dues, but as a means to continue to collect
          and distribute information. Many people are interested in the history
          of technology, especially the Altair, and there isn't a consistent
          force working to make that information easily available to the
          general population. By having an organization, we establish a small
          group who accept responsibility for continuing to add to the
          knowledge and keep the information hosted on the web. This way, past
          efforts won't be or taken off line as the sponsoring individual moves
          on in life.

          I understand your reaction to the club idea, as many clubs are an
          exercise in politics, but here we have a clear mission, with less
          formality. For example, there likely would not be any meetings, just
          emails and projects...low pressure...low key--keep the website up and
          growing--stay focused on the Altair and its historical surroundings.

          What amazes me about the Altair community is the effort already put
          forth. History is right in front of us, and the people who were there
          are still around. Their stories and knowledge need to live beyond
          them. If no one from the next generation takes any interest, this
          part of the world's history will fade.

          Todd
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 21, 2003
            Todd,

            The structure for most of what you propose is already in place here,
            on Erik's pages, and on some other sites. If there's an unexplored
            or underdocumented segment of Altair history that you feel should be
            more thoroughly covered, there are several things you or any other
            member can do, without the necessity of having a mandate from the
            club:
            1) You can post questions to the group;
            2) You can post comments in the form of messages;
            3) You can post photos and files (including reasonably sized 8080
            programs) in the appropriate group folders;
            4) You can find related web pages and post links to them in our
            LINKS folder;
            5) You can create your own web page wherein you can display any
            Altair-related information that you feel is of value. Free web space
            is easily available from Yahoo/Geocities and others. In addition,
            it's only a 5-minute effort to start your own Yahoo group site. If
            you want to take the latter approach, write to me off-group and I'll
            help you do it. With your enthusiasm, I'm sure you can contribute a
            lot.

            Do you get the feeling that I think a formal club isn't a good idea?
            Well, that's true for this Yahoo group, but I'm not saying that it's
            generally a bad idea. In fact, I'll gladly join an off-site formal
            club that you may form. You're welcome to post a link and advertise
            your web page here. It's not the intent of this AltairComputerClub
            to compete with other sites, but to compliment them.

            Steve
            --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, TMollerup <no_reply@y...>