Teletype model 33 Reader Power Pack

  • Stuart Wyatt
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 6, 2013

      I have what appears to be a Teletype 83087 “Reader Power Pack” for a UX800 Reader.  It’s in good physical condition, but it was removed 30 years ago and I don’t remember why.

      Let me know if you have a model 33 and think you could use it, even as a spare part.  I’ve packed it around for 30 years, so it would nice if it could be used and not tossed out.

      -Stuart

    • Stuart Wyatt
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 6, 2013

        The module is on the last page (19) of this document.  http://www.pdp8online.com/pdp8cgi/query_docs/tifftopdf.pl/CHD/model33_line_set.pdf

        It includes the metal bracket with the 850 ohm resistor connected to T1 and T2.

        It says it is used to drive the reader magnet in the model 32 and 33 ASR.

        I have what appears to be a Teletype 83087 “Reader Power Pack” for a UX800 Reader.  It’s in good physical condition, but it was removed 30 years ago and I don’t remember why.

        Let me know if you have a model 33 and think you could use it, even as a spare part.  I’ve packed it around for 30 years, so it would nice if it could be used and not tossed out.

        -Stuart

      • B Degnan
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 6, 2013
          I wonder if this is some sort of reader run relay add-on?

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 6, 2013

            I suspect that it is actually part number 183087, which is the power pack for the standard tape reader in the ASR33. The reader power pack is separate from the rest of the ASR33 power supply, because the entire reader was optional.

            On older Teletypes, the reader/punch section was more or less bolted onto the left side of the Teletype, and had its own plastic housing. On later teletypes, ASR33 had a one-piece housing that covered the main Teletype and the reader/punch section separately.

            The reader power pack was originally located in the base of the Teletype, with a wiring harness up into the Teletype. On later Teletypes, this power supply was relocated into the Call Control Unit - that space to the right of the keyboard.

            ---In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, <billdeg@...> wrote:

            I wonder if this is some sort of reader run relay add-on?

            I have what appears to be a Teletype 83087 “Reader Power Pack” for a UX800 Reader.  It’s in good physical condition, but it was removed 30 years ago and I don’t remember why.

            Let me know if you have a model 33 and think you could use it, even as a spare part.  I’ve packed it around for 30 years, so it would nice if it could be used and not tossed out.

            -Stuart

          • Craig Landrum
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 7, 2013
              On 11/6/13 at 5:14 PM, stuart@... (Stuart Wyatt) wrote:

              >I have what appears to be a Teletype 83087 "Reader Power Pack"
              >for a UX800 Reader. It's in good physical condition, but it
              >was removed 30 years ago and I don't remember why.
              >
              >Let me know if you have a model 33 and think you could use it,
              >even as a spare part. I've packed it around for 30 years, so
              >it would nice if it could be used and not tossed out.
              >
              >-Stuart

              Stuart; I have a Teletype ASR33, whihc is the second one I've
              owned - my
              first one went with my restored Altair system and had a stand
              and some type
              of power supply or board that was mounted inside near the top of
              the stand.
              No idea what it was for. The one I have now has no stand or
              external power
              supplies but of course still has the paper tape reader (which
              appears to
              work ok) and I assume that it is powered off the same (internal)
              supply that
              the other stuff uses - am I wrong? Any idea what that board
              that was mounted
              on the stand on my previous unit was for?

              In any case, if you think the supply you have would fit in my
              ASR33, then
              I'd be happy to have it - let me know what terms you would be comfortable
              with.

              --
              Craig Landrum
              Chief Technical Officer
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 7, 2013

                Stuart; I have a Teletype ASR33, whihc is the second one I've owned - my first one went with my restored Altair system and had a stand and some type of power supply or board that was mounted inside near the top of the stand. No idea what it was for. The one I have now has no stand or external power supplies but of course still has the paper tape reader (which appears to work ok) and I assume that it is powered off the same (internal) supply that the other stuff uses - am I wrong? Any idea what that board that was mounted on the stand on my previous unit was for?In any case, if you think the supply you have would fit in my ASR33, then I'd be happy to have it - let me know what terms you would be comfortable with.-- Craig Landrum Chief Technical

                ----------------------

                You must have a newer ASR 33.  Any ASR I have ever owned had the reader motor in the base/stand.  The board mounted on y
                our ASR's stand was a reader motor.    I don't think you need it unless you have another older ASR to power it's reader.

                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 7, 2013

                  The ASR-33 Reader required an external power supply that was mounted either in the base of the Teletype or in the UCC area (a different mounting bracket is required to mount the power supply board in the UCC than in the base). As Martin pointed out, the part number for that supply is 183087 which is probably what Stuart has.

                  In Craig's case, the reader supply board is probably mounted in the UCC area. That is why Craig does not see an external supply in the base. However, the board mounted in Craig's UCC area is most likely the same board present in the reader supply that Stuart has -- unless Craig's reader is an automatic reader. The automatic reader used a different reader power supply. (Actually, it's the same board with more parts stuffed).

                  There is not an external motor for the tape reader -- actually there is not a motor used at all. Instead, a coil and armature in the reader itself moves a feed pawl that turns the tape feed ratchet gear one step each time the coil is activated. The coil is activated via a contact closure in the distributor clutch area of the typing mechanism. The current that flows through that contact closure and the reader's stepping coil is provided by the reader power supply.

                  Mike

[...]

                  Bill
                • B Degnan
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 7, 2013
                    sorry..yes not a motor.  I was mistaken.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 7, 2013

                      Craig, Jack sent me an email first asking for the module, but thanks for offering to take it.

                      -Stuart

                      >I have what appears to be a Teletype 83087 "Reader Power Pack"
                      >for a UX800 Reader. It's in good physical condition, but it
                      >was removed 30 years ago and I don't remember why.
                      >
                      >Let me know if you have a model 33 and think you could use it,
                      >even as a spare part. I've packed it around for 30 years, so
                      >it would nice if it could be used and not tossed out.
                      >
                      >-Stuart

                      Stuart; I have a Teletype ASR33, whihc is the second one I've
                      owned - my
                      first one went with my restored Altair system and had a stand
                      and some type
                      of power supply or board that was mounted inside near the top of
                      the stand.
                      No idea what it was for. The one I have now has no stand or
                      external power
                      supplies but of course still has the paper tape reader (which
                      appears to
                      work ok) and I assume that it is powered off the same (internal)
                      supply that
                      the other stuff uses - am I wrong? Any idea what that board
                      that was mounted
                      on the stand on my previous unit was for?

                      In any case, if you think the supply you have would fit in my
                      ASR33, then
                      I'd be happy to have it - let me know what terms you would be comfortable
                      with.

                      --
                      Craig Landrum
                      Chief Technical Officer
                      mindwrap, inc.
                      Phone: (540) 347-2552 x 229
                      Fax: (540) 347-2556
                      email: craigl@...

                    • Jack Rubin
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 7, 2013

                        OK – it will certainly find a good home with him.

                        Craig, Jack sent me an email first asking for the module, but thanks for offering to take it.

                        -Stuart

                        >I have what appears to be a Teletype 83087 "Reader Power Pack"
                        >for a UX800 Reader. It's in good physical condition, but it
                        >was removed 30 years ago and I don't remember why.
                        >
                        >Let me know if you have a model 33 and think you could use it,
                        >even as a spare part. I've packed it around for 30 years, so
                        >it would nice if it could be used and not tossed out.
                        >
                        >-Stuart

                        Stuart; I have a Teletype ASR33, whihc is the second one I've
                        owned - my
                        first one went with my restored Altair system and had a stand
                        and some type
                        of power supply or board that was mounted inside near the top of
                        the stand.
                        No idea what it was for. The one I have now has no stand or
                        external power
                        supplies but of course still has the paper tape reader (which
                        appears to
                        work ok) and I assume that it is powered off the same (internal)
                        supply that
                        the other stuff uses - am I wrong? Any idea what that board
                        that was mounted
                        on the stand on my previous unit was for?

                        In any case, if you think the supply you have would fit in my
                        ASR33, then
                        I'd be happy to have it - let me know what terms you would be comfortable
                        with.

                        --
                        Craig Landrum
                        Chief Technical Officer
                        mindwrap, inc.
                        Phone: (540) 347-2552 x 229
                        Fax: (540) 347-2556
                        email: craigl@...

                        No virus found in this message.

                      • Craig Landrum
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 7, 2013
                          > Craig, Jack sent me an email first asking for the module, but thanks for
                          > offering to take it.
                          >
                          > -Stuart

                          No problem - the one I have is working fine anyway :-)

                          --
                          Craig Landrum
                          Chief Technical Officer