MAKEALT v.1.07

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 7, 2013
      I've uploaded version 1.07 of MAKEALT, which is a CP/M program that creates Altair-style paper tape files. Find this in the Files section, under Working with Paper Tapes.

      Version 1.07 adds the ability to create a paper tape file without any checksum loader on it. This is especially useful for loading software onto an Altair, using MBLe version 1.03 or later. (MBLe is my improved version of MBL that does not try to skip over a checksum loader if one is not present. MBLe is available in the Files section, under Altair 8800 EPROM Images>New and Modified EPROM Images.)

      Here is how you use it:

      1. Create your assembly language program using your favorite editor and assembler. Your assembler should create a .HEX file as part of its output.

      2. Under CP/M, convert the assembler's HEX output file into a tape file like this:

      where <filename> is the name of your program file and <address> is the execution address of your program.

      3. Set the sense switches as you would for any other MBL load, and Start MBLe on your Altair

      4. Use your favorite terminal program to send the file <filename>.TAP to the Altair's load port.

      The program will load and execute automatically.

      Note: if you still have an original MITS version of MBL, you can still use MAKEALT to create a file that can be loaded and executed by MBL. But you will need to specify a checksum loader file that will get installed at the beginning of the TAP file.  For example, you can use the MITS BASIC version 4.X loader,  ALTLOD4.HEX  (which is available in the Files section under Working with Paper Tapes).

      Create the file like this:
      MAKEALT <filename>.TAP=<filename).HEX /CALTLOD4.HEX /G<address>

      Then load it as above.

      -Martin E