What do you guys do about paper tape storage...

  • corey986
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 5, 2013
      So I'm starting to accumulate quite a few programs on paper tape, the curse of owning two high speed punches. Buying the storage containers that double as reels gets a little expensive but are easy to use.Do you guys mostly keep your paper tapes wound up and use a rubber band and just throw them in a shoe box? What do you guys do?Thanks, Corey
    • B Degnan
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 5, 2013
        if you can find those DEC tape tray holders get them or something similar.
        Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

        So I'm starting to accumulate quite a few programs on paper tape, the curse of owning two high speed punches. Buying the storage containers that double as reels gets a little expensive but are easy to use.Do you guys mostly keep your paper tapes wound up and use a rubber band and just throw them in a shoe box? What do you guys do?Thanks, Corey

      • Chris Elmquist
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 5, 2013
          On Saturday (10/05/2013 at 04:25AM -0700), corey986 wrote:
          > So I'm starting to accumulate quite a few programs on paper tape, the
          > curse of owning two high speed punches. Buying the storage containers that
          > double as reels gets a little expensive but are easy to use. Do you guys
          > mostly keep your paper tapes wound up and use a rubber band and just throw
          > them in a shoe box? What do you guys do? Thanks, Corey

          I have several hundred tapes for Altair680 that the previous owner kept
          in plastic sewing boxes with a rubber band around each tape.

          The oil in the tape melted the rubber bands and the resulting goo soaked
          into the tapes, essentially gluing them together. Many of the tapes
          are ruined.

          There were also unopened Microsoft BASIC, MITS editor and assembler and
          several other commercial tapes that had rubber bands around them inside
          their sealed plastic bags. These are also unusable until I can invent
          some process to safely remove this rubber goo and not further damage
          the tapes.

          So, I don't recommend keeping tapes with rubber bands around them :-(

          Chris
          --
          Chris Elmquist
        • Jack Rubin
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 5, 2013
            Ditto - except Chris always answers first! Rubber bands are not a good idea, though compartmented plastic boxes are.
            Jack

          • Chris Elmquist
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 5, 2013
              On Saturday (10/05/2013 at 02:40PM +0000), Jack Rubin wrote:
              > Ditto - except Chris always answers first! Rubber bands are not a good idea, though compartmented plastic boxes are.

              Ha! Ya, I'm the first to respond with the horror stories :-)

              I've been using Ziplock sandwich bags as well as Ziplock sandwich boxes
              (kinda like cheap Tupperware) for the larger diameter tapes and then
              those go in your usual shoebox or other outer container.

              I think the same oil that rots the rubber bands will also evaporate from
              the older tapes leaving behind a residue that makes the tape brittle.
              So my theory is to keep each tape in a sealed bag, without a rubber band!,
              to hopefully fend off that demise.

              Chris

              Chris Elmquist