RE: 8800bT with 2 drives, rack on Ebay

    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 1 8:54 PM

      The drives appear to be full height. Zoom in on the photo and you'll see the front panel has been cut to allow the drive face to extend from the very top to the very bottom of the chassis. The controller in the Altair does not appear to be the Altair controller. I doubt this hardware combination will run software intended for the Altair floppy drives.

      Mike

      ---In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, <billdeg@...> wrote:

      This is what the drive would have looked like originally, if we're correct that at some point the drives were removed and replaced, keeping only the chassis that holds the drives.

      http://vintagecomputer.net/MITS/88-DCDD/MITS_Altair_88-DCDD_cover-removed.jpg

      Makes sense, they would have wanted to keep the rack.

      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 2 7:26 AM
        The 2/3 height drive was wishful thinking and poor vision. Cutting the faceplate makes an opening approx. 4 and 5/8 inches. That is barely enough for a full-height drive and would require removing parts of the internal chassis.

        So the value drops to soft-sector value.The sale still includes RAM, the terminal, and unknown boards. The system still looks nice, but maybe not a bargain.

        What is the value of a MITS 16K Static memory board? How does the value of non-MITS static memory compare.

        W. Tom S.

        .

        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 2 8:07 AM
          Some like the 16K static boards.  If they work I guess they're worth something more than a working PTEC 16K board, but really I don't think that MITS RAM is worth more unless its working!

          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 2 8:21 AM

            Wait.... MITS made 16k boards that worked!!!! LOL

            Cheers,

            Corey

              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 2 8:40 AM
                I actually have a few that are reliable.  But, I think you get my point.  Some RAM, like Processor Tech and Godbout from the same period are equally valued if you're into collecting.  But for reliability, you'd want to get new RAM from the 80's.
                bd

[...]

              • Michael George Hart

                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 2 9:48 AM
                    I get the point that working RAM is valuable and that RAM boards improved over time. What I don't know is how well non-MITS boards work with MITS front panel, motherboard, controllers, and turnkey board.

                    Newer board may have better sockets. Failing  MITS static boards can often be fixed by pressing chips firmly into each socket. The address switch is a failure point too. Still, there is some value to the MITS name and known compatibility? The 4200 RAM chips have alway been expensive. Are the still around $6? Is a MITS RAM board worth $200 in RAM chip value?

                    I see 64K static boards that sell for under $100. Are these boards reliable in a MITS configuration? If so, what does that means about the value of 64K of MITS static memory? I also see some boards with hard to find manuals.

                    The buyer of this auction saves time by getting memory and most everything else in a single auction. Other sellers would have broken the system into parts.

                    My point is that 64k and compatibility, combined with a Turnkey Board are very useful. I value this highly. A front panel mainframe with a Turnkey board is my first choice.

                    How much does RAM with Turnkey board affect the value of this system?

                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 2 10:23 AM

                      The floppy controller is the JADE "Double D".

                      It utilized a Z80 and a WD1791 to work with double density formats.
                      The board is located at the next to last left slot.
                      Frank
                    • B Degnan
                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 2 10:29 AM
                        You have to phantom the portion of RAM that is used past 48K, if you're trying to use a modern 64K board, and likely other jumper-ing will be necessary.  Not all "modern" S-100 RAM is going to be compatible with an Altair, but my Turnkey does have 64K

                        bd

                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 2 10:50 AM

                           The ROM board is a WAMECO EPM-2.

                          (eBay 200958342101) has good pictures.

                          Frank

                        • wtsnet
                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 2 10:54 AM
                            Part of the value of this system is the Turnkey Board/Module. A simple modification allows a full 64K RAM after booting. The board has 3 1702A sockets that eliminates the need for a separate PROM board. One M6850 port reduces the need for a separate I/O board. Output to port FF and the PROMS are replaced by RAM. Without this board, an Altair cannot run all MITS software.

                            Front panels are great. My point is that most people do not appreciate the value of the Turnkey Module. This plain Altair is a power system.What is lost in collector value and what is gained in function and drive availability.

                            What do others think of the value of a Turnkey Module/Board and having a full 64K and console por?. I think the Turnkey Module/Board is a bargain.

                            Message 13 of 22 , Oct 2 11:00 AM
                              I agree.  For "every day" use a turnkey system can't be beat.

                              Message 14 of 22 , Oct 2 12:18 PM

                                The WAMCO board can "Wired for 2716". Add ease of programming value compared to the Turnkey 1702A PROMs? How much RAM is in this system? Is it all MITS and 16K? Is the 64K Mod on the Turnkey Board? I see 1K of RAM on the Turnkey. I can't tell if the RAM is disabled by the mod.

                                I think the WAMCO board adds value by giving more PROM options. I can't tell if the system is configured for 64K RAM with phantom PROMS. The configuration looks interesting. What PROMs are installed? I wonder if Turmon is used?

                                W. Tom S.

                                What is the board next to the controller?

                                Message 15 of 22 , Oct 2 1:12 PM

                                  I suspect that is a Qume/Diablo printer compatible interface board.

                                  Frank