RE: RE: New Disk Images Upoaded

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 27, 2013

      Here's an update regarding the LB-CPM-141.dsk. This has Lifeboat's CONFIG and SAVEUSER utilities, so you don't have to patch with the USER.ASM file to make the disk run on the Altair. An Altair with a 2SIO board is a "standard" CONFIG option (code zero), so I updated CONFIG location 0120h from 0ffh ("configuration not speified") to 0 (configuration = Altair with 2SIO). Now the disk boots. MOVCPM and SYSGEN now also work as long as the CONFIG.COM files (as modified above) is present as a file on the disk you update with SYSGEN.

      Mike

      ---In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, <altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Bill,

      Thanks for the uploads!

      LB-CPM-141.dsk: This is a 24K distribution of CP/M 1.41 from Lifeboat Associates. It does not use the 2SIO (port 0x10) or the SIO (port 0). It has Lifeboat's user patch area in place (e.g., USER.ASM), however the patches in place are NOT the ones present in the USER.ASM file on the disk. This system could be patched using the USER.ASM mechanism to support 2SIO or SIO and then used on an Altair, if desired.

      E-BASIC_300-5-C.dsk: This disk image boots fine and is a duplicate of the "MITS BASIC 300-5-C.dsk" image except for one BASIC program file (the prior has "MTEST", the latter has "SORT")

      DURBIN-CPM.dsk: This disk image boots fine. It only has two CP/M related files present (PIP.COM and STAT.COM). The rest of the files are word processing data files. I think you are right, it was probably created from the LB-CPM-141 disk.

      CBASIC_206A.dsk: This is not a bootable disk. It could be used  on drive B:, for example, in a two drive CP/M system. Contains the CBASIC compiler and run-time files.

      Mike

      ---In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, <billdeg@...> wrote:

      I finally got my disk drives running.  I have uploaded 5 new Altair disk images that are new to the web you may have to right-click on them to download. Please tell me if they work in an emulator and/or actual disk drive.

      LB-CPM-141.dsk: Original Lifeboat CP/M 1.41 disk - does not boot on my Turnkey system using port 10, but the disk is readable. See also Durbin CPM below.

      E-BASIC_300-5-C.dsk: MITS Extended BASIC 300-5 rev C

      DURBIN-CPM.dsk: CP/M on MITS 62K Version 1.41 probably a gen for the turnkey of the original LP-CPM-141 image. This version was used with a GE Terminet 1200 printer, 300b modem, and 9600b terminal. The printer and modem were operated through a separate 2SIO card.

      CBASIC_206A.dsk: Lifeboat CBASIC v 2.06A

      I am still working on a disk that has WordStar for LearSiegler terminal.
    • Michael George Hart
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 29, 2013
        Hello All
            I was fortunate enough to have the winning bid on eBay for "MITS ALTAIR 8800b Computer with 11 Boards" and an "ALTAIR DISK COMPUTER DOUBLE FLOPPY DISK DRIVE MITS" see images below.

        From examining the Altair 8800b internals and board either the system was unused in a very clean environment or it was used for a few a month or two and packed away; very very little to no dust accumulation on any of its parts.

        After the inspection I gently remove the boards and plugged in and checked the voltages with my meter and oscilloscope. The voltages were exactly what they should be without any buss load. --from the look of the s100 buss edges of all the cards it looked I was the first one to ever of pulled them out system was built. Interestingly enough most of boards did not see to have and marking/tags would allow me to tell you the part number in order find a manual to repair them if needed although I could identify the function of each board. A lot of the boards looked like revision 0

        I replaced all the boards at the exact location I removed the and did not see or smell any smoke.
        Next I connected the floppy drive and it loaded the head of the drive. This thing is trying to boot it self.

        Does anyone have a bootable 8" floppy I can use to attempt to boot this system assuming the floppy drives are actually functional. The sender of the floppy drive did not properly lock down the heads of the floppy drive when sent them so the drives could be misaligned if they ever worked.

        Does anyone know where I can find documentation of the Altair 8800b and this particular floppy drive system. Until a month ago I didn't think that MITS made a double floppy disk drive system.

        Thank for whatever help you might be able to offer.

        Michael

        $T2eC16h,!)!FIdVju6kkBSLRDeru-!~~60_57.JPG
        $T2eC16F,!zoE9s5nc3O!BSLMf(YU2!~~60_57.JPG
        I, the unwilling, was lead by the unqualified, to do the unbelievable for so long with so little, that I attempted the impossible with nothing

        Sent from my
      • Martin Eberhard
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 30, 2013
          Hi Michael,

          Probably the best way to get a bootable floppy is to use Mike's PC2FLOP program, and the .DSK file images.

          You should be able to use your 8800b's boot monitor (TURMON) to enter his short loader program, and use that to pull in PC2FLOP - and then use PC2FLOP to load a bootable DSK image and write it to a blank floppy.

          The great advantage of this procedure is that it completely eliminates all problems with disk drive alignment - since your drive wrote the bootable disk image, the alignment is right for reading it. Obviously, this does mean that your disks may not interchange with another Altair, but that's a small problem only...

          Take a look in the files section, under Altair Disk Images for  the PC2FLOP software, instructions, and the DSK images. (Look for Disk Image Transfer Utilities (Stand Alone).)

          That disk drive is a 3202 drive - the manuals are out there...

          Martin

          On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 10:41 PM, Michael George Hart <michael.george.hart@...> wrote:
          Hello All
              I was fortunate enough to have the winning bid on eBay for "MITS ALTAIR 8800b Computer with 11 Boards" and an "ALTAIR DISK COMPUTER DOUBLE FLOPPY DISK DRIVE MITS" see images below.

          From examining the Altair 8800b internals and board either the system was unused in a very clean environment or it was used for a few a month or two and packed away; very very little to no dust accumulation on any of its parts.

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 30, 2013
            Thank you so much for the insight. I was starting to think I now have a 100lbs iron brick good for nothing but display

            I will see how far I can get with PC2FLOP tool this weekend.

            Thanks again.

            I, the unwilling, was lead by the unqualified, to do the unbelievable for so long with so little, that I attempted the impossible with nothing

            Sent from my iPad

            On Sep 30, 2013, at 10:00 AM, Martin Eberhard <eberhard@...> wrote:

[...]

            From examining the Altair 8800b internals and board either the system was unused in a very clean environment or it was used for a few a month or two and packed away; very very little to no dust accumulation on any of its parts.

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 30, 2013
                I saw the photos. Are the two drive controller cards connected with cables?  The drive controller for this system would be two boards connected by cables/wire.  I assume yes you have the cables, but they were not visible in the ebay auction.

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 30, 2013
                  just to clarify, I mean that the two drive controllers are connected internally within the computer.  There is a separate cable that connects from the outside of the computer to the drive controller port.
                  bd

                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 30, 2013
                    Yes, there are two S100 boards in the 8800b that connects to chassis mounted connector.

                    There is a cable from the drive unit that plugs directly into the chassis connector.

                    To night I will post pictures of all the cards found in the unit.