Re: Looking for print impact heads and pad for hammers for 2 ASR-33 Teletypes with Paper tape Reader and Punch

  • Stephen Arnett
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 16, 2013
      Hello Kip, Keep the ASR restoration dream alive.  These are the sensory heart and soul of this computing era.  I can't imagine doing a demo without one.  The most elegant solution I ever saw for hammer pad loss was a section of rubber hose cut to slide over the hammer arm.  It's a solution so simple and yet robust enough to embarrass the factory designers.

      if you would like me to forward a list of the places I last saw cylinders for sale, I can send those to you directly.  Just ask me.

      Best regards,

      Stephen

      Stephen A. Arnett
      Canton MI 48188 USA

    • Kip Koon
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 17, 2013

        Hi Stephen!

        I would be most appreciative if you would send me those links for new cylinders.  I’ve tried to find them myself on several occasions, but I was never successful.  Now that I think about it, I don’t know why I didn’t repair my teletypes years ago!  I am so glad that cylinders are still available!  By the way, when you say a section  of hose, do you mean the common water hose in our backyard we water out flowers with?  If so, I surprised that idea never crossed my mind.  Now that you mention it, that would find the hammer arm very nicely.  That is a clever solution for such an age old problem with teletype hammers!  I’m sure I’ve got some old hose around here somewhere.  Thank you very much and take care my friend.

        Kip

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 17, 2013
          Actually, I think the correct term for the "hose" is tubing.

          It is 7/16" OD, 5/16" ID clear vinyl tubing from a hardware or aquarium
          store. You cut it 7/8" long and push it all the way to the bottom of
          the metal T of the hammer...

          This discussion just went by a couple weeks ago on the greenkeys teletype
          mailing list,

          http://mailman.qth.net/pipermail/greenkeys/

          Chris

          --
          Chris Elmquist
        • B Degnan
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 17, 2013
            Here is a link to a doc I made, which has a page about the hammer head replacement PCV size.
            http://vintagecomputer.net/vcf7/Teletype101/