Re: Copy Floppies With One Drive?

  • Dave Sroelov
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 10, 2013
      you can copy a disk on one drive, but you will have to write software
      for it, and it will still be painful. luckily, when i was doing this, i
      had a system with 512K of memory in it. i read the whole source disk
      into memory, swapped the disks, and then wrote out the destination
      disk. as i said, i did have to write the software.

      in lieu of having a lot of memory, you would have to write software to
      read a few tracks into memory, swap disks, write out those tracks, and
      then swap disks back. you would have to do this as many times as it
      takes to copy the whole 310K disk. if you had a full load of memory in
      your system (56K-64K, depending on configuration), you would have to
      swap disks at least 5 times, maybe 6, depending on the phase of the moon.
    • toml_12953
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 11, 2013

        Gee Grant, Do you think you'll ever get back into the replica business? The one I bought from you is purring away like a kitten. If you ever decide to make replicas of the disk boards, I'd be one of the first in line to buy a set.

        Tom L

        --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, <altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        The disks are a liitle over 300k.  When I had two drives running in basic it would toggle between the drives every second for a few minutes.  Unless there is a special routine for one drive then I think it would wear out the drive door!

        Grant

        On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 4:15 AM, <tlake@...> wrote:

        Is it possible to copy Altair disks with only one drive? I see one dual-drive unit and a couple single drive units on eBay right now. I'd like the dual of course but it will probably go too high for me. If I can copy disks with a single drive, I'll bid on those, though.

      • B Degnan
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 11, 2013
          680 RAM card!

          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 11, 2013
            I'll second that!

            On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 2:25 PM, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

            680 RAM card!

            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 12, 2013

              I got quotes back in 2007 for copying the entire disk system, but I couldn't find enough drives. I was only trying to make 5 drives. In the back of my mind I wanted to get an injection mold so that I could put the correct faceplate on a shugart drive, or even hide a 3.5" drive behind it.

              My wife and I are trying to get the existing kits in production. I'm trying to have units available for Christmas. I've also got 4 kits in the works, but they won't be done for at least 3 months. So far only subcontractors are working on metal and PCBs. I won't be personally putting time into them until the other kits are going.

              Grant

              나의 iPhone에서 보냄

              2013. 9. 11. 오후 4:47 Cameron Cooper <c@...> 작성:

              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 12, 2013

                Grant,

                I'm  building an FDC board for the Altair that from the Altair H/W and S/W perspective is indistinguishable from the original Altair two-board set.

                The controller can connect directly to an Altair drive cabinet (DB-37 connector to a buffer board inside the drive cabinet, the buffer board then connects to the Pertec drive) -- just like an original system -- OR the controller can connect directly to drives that duplicate the Shugart 800 series 50-pin interface. Even when using Shugart drives, the floppy disks written are physically interchangeable with disks written on an original Altair drive.

                Finally, the board will have a high-speed serial interface that can be connected to a PC in lieu of using rotating media at all. A simple server program on a PC acts as the physical drive. This connection is completely transparent to both Altair H/W and Altair S/W which function at full speed exactly as if the original Altair floppy controller and drive(s) were in use.

                Let me know if you want to work on / share any ideas regarding these two projects.

                Mike