'Invalid path' errors when opening some file folders in the FILES directory

  • alltare
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 9, 2013
      Yahoo's 'new and improved' groups format has managed to make many (but not all) file folders inaccessible in the group's FILES directory.  When opening some folders, you will probably get the error message 'Oops! Invalid path'.  The problem seems to be that any file name that includes an apostrophe (') or quote mark (") can't be opened.  For example, STEVE'S FILES can't be opened, but STEVES FILES (without the apostrophe) can be opened.  I tried renaming those folders (as the group owner and as a folder author) and I get the error message 'Invalid path'.

      So in the future, when creating a new folder or file in the FILES directory, PLEASE DON'T USE ANY CHARACTERS OTHER THAN NUMBERS, SPACES, OR LETTERS OF THE ALPHABET.  Avoid any special characters.

      By the way, this does not seem to be a problem in the PHOTOS directory- only in FILES- but it's probably best to avoid special characters there too.

      I have sent a message to Yahoo about this, but am assuming that I will not receive a reply.  Eventually, they will probably fix it, but whether we'll get back all of that lost info is another question.

      Thanks.
      Steve
      Moderator
    • tkaragiris

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 23, 2013

          This new Yahoo groups format has got to be on a par with obamacare's website as far as ease of use and appearance go.  I have found it almost impossible to use my smartphone or tablet to read or compose messages, and "intuitive" operation has been thrown out the window, even when using a desktop computer.

          Anyway, if moderated members' messages take longer than usual to get approved and posted, that's why.  It's just a real P.I.A. to jump through Yahoo's hoops.

          But what really grates on me is the fact that I have been successfully blocking all spam messages on this site for years, but now the jerks at Yahoo have succeeded in placing non-removable spam among the legitimate content.  If you only read this group's messages via emails, you probably haven't seen this, but if you read the messages on site, you'll see what I mean.

          On a related subject, it looks like the FILES directory's problems have now been fixed (see my previous message #3454), so everything should again be readable there.  However, I have taken the precaution of deleting the quote marks and apostrophes that were causing problems in several of the file and folder names.  Because of these changes, any links that you have to those items probably no longer work and you'll have to edit your shortcuts accordingly.  To prevent the possibility of similar future problems, please avoid the use of special characters when creating files or folders in the FILES directory, and in the PHOTOS directly too, for that matter.

          Steve
          (moderator)

[...]

        • Jack Rubin
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 24, 2013

            Yeah – “free” costs a little more with each passing moment. At least we got to taste the golden age.

            Oh well.

            Jack

[...]

            No virus found in this message.