RE: RE: Copy Floppies With One Drive?

    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 9, 2013

      Frank,

      The PC2Flop and Flop2PC utilities are written specifically for the MITS 88-DCDD floppy controller and drive. The hard sector format and variable sector layout used by MITS software made these floppies especially difficult to copy and duplicate on other machines. This is why I wrote the image transfer utilities.

      Mike

      --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, <altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Mike,
      i have a runing CP/M system with the Tarbell 2022 disk controller.

      Frank

      --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, <deramp5113@...> wrote:

      Looks like the group's transition to this miserable new format lost the link to the contents of Tom's folder. A quick check of few other folders and they look OK. I have the images saved and can re-post if necessary. I'll contact Tom in the meantime.

      Frank -- do you have CP/M running on the Altair or do you need a stand-alone version to run from the front panel?

      Mike

      --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, <altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Mike,

      how to get these PC2FLOP and FLOP2PC files?

      I there an .ASM file also, to modify the type of SIO?

      Tom's "Altair dsk" folder is not available for me, i get an error message.

      Frank

      --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, <deramp5113@...> wrote:

      Tom,

      If you have a 2SIO board (or Turnkey board) in your system, I have the Flop2PC and PC2Flop utilities for CP/M that can save an Altair floppy image to the PC (Flop2PC) and write a floppy with a saved image from the PC (PC2Flop).

      You can use these utilities to create floppies from Altair images already saved (e.g., Tom's "Altair dsk" folder in the Files section), or to copy a disk by saving it to the PC, then writing a new floppy with the saved image. It's simple to use, but not real fast (takes about 6-7 minutes) to save or to restore.

      Mike

    • Dave Sroelov
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 10, 2013
        you can copy a disk on one drive, but you will have to write software
        for it, and it will still be painful. luckily, when i was doing this, i
        had a system with 512K of memory in it. i read the whole source disk
        into memory, swapped the disks, and then wrote out the destination
        disk. as i said, i did have to write the software.

        in lieu of having a lot of memory, you would have to write software to
        read a few tracks into memory, swap disks, write out those tracks, and
        then swap disks back. you would have to do this as many times as it
        takes to copy the whole 310K disk. if you had a full load of memory in
        your system (56K-64K, depending on configuration), you would have to
        swap disks at least 5 times, maybe 6, depending on the phase of the moon.
      • toml_12953
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 11, 2013

          Gee Grant, Do you think you'll ever get back into the replica business? The one I bought from you is purring away like a kitten. If you ever decide to make replicas of the disk boards, I'd be one of the first in line to buy a set.

          Tom L

          --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, <altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          The disks are a liitle over 300k.  When I had two drives running in basic it would toggle between the drives every second for a few minutes.  Unless there is a special routine for one drive then I think it would wear out the drive door!

          Grant

          On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 4:15 AM, <tlake@...> wrote:

          Is it possible to copy Altair disks with only one drive? I see one dual-drive unit and a couple single drive units on eBay right now. I'd like the dual of course but it will probably go too high for me. If I can copy disks with a single drive, I'll bid on those, though.

        • B Degnan
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 11, 2013
            680 RAM card!

            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 11, 2013
              I'll second that!

              On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 2:25 PM, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

              680 RAM card!

              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 12, 2013

                I got quotes back in 2007 for copying the entire disk system, but I couldn't find enough drives. I was only trying to make 5 drives. In the back of my mind I wanted to get an injection mold so that I could put the correct faceplate on a shugart drive, or even hide a 3.5" drive behind it.

                My wife and I are trying to get the existing kits in production. I'm trying to have units available for Christmas. I've also got 4 kits in the works, but they won't be done for at least 3 months. So far only subcontractors are working on metal and PCBs. I won't be personally putting time into them until the other kits are going.

                Grant

                나의 iPhone에서 보냄

                2013. 9. 11. 오후 4:47 Cameron Cooper <c@...> 작성:

                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 12, 2013

                  Grant,

                  I'm  building an FDC board for the Altair that from the Altair H/W and S/W perspective is indistinguishable from the original Altair two-board set.

                  The controller can connect directly to an Altair drive cabinet (DB-37 connector to a buffer board inside the drive cabinet, the buffer board then connects to the Pertec drive) -- just like an original system -- OR the controller can connect directly to drives that duplicate the Shugart 800 series 50-pin interface. Even when using Shugart drives, the floppy disks written are physically interchangeable with disks written on an original Altair drive.

                  Finally, the board will have a high-speed serial interface that can be connected to a PC in lieu of using rotating media at all. A simple server program on a PC acts as the physical drive. This connection is completely transparent to both Altair H/W and Altair S/W which function at full speed exactly as if the original Altair floppy controller and drive(s) were in use.

                  Let me know if you want to work on / share any ideas regarding these two projects.