RE: Good Z80 board for your Altair

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 4, 2013

      Well THAT didn't take long :-) All three of those Z80 boards were purchased almost instantly.

      I just posted a document that describes how to make the CCS 2810 work well in an Altair (or an IMSAI) with a front panel. You can find it in Files>CCS 2810 Z80 CPU.

      -Martin E

      --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, <eberhard@...> wrote:

      If anyone's thinking of getting a Z80 board fro their Altair, there are 3 of them for sale on eBay right now for a very good price:

      http://www.ebay.com/itm/251262572008?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

      This board is actually a California Computer Systems (CCS) 2810 board. (The seller does not seem to know this.) I have one of these CCS 2810 boards, and got it working perfectly in my Altair, including with the front panel. It required a cable adapter for the front panel connector, and exactly one jumper to make it work perfectly.

      The CCS 2810 also has a decent serial port that is supported by the onboard ROM monitor (which is missing from these boards). The serial port connects to a DB25 with a straight-through crimped ribbon cable - readily available off-the-shelf still.

      These 2810's are missing their EPROMs with the CCS monitor code. However, I have that code, and can provide it to anyone who needs it. (The ROM monitor is pretty nice, allowing you to poke around in memory, clear memory, etc.) I can also publish the details for the one jumper that's required.

      -Martin E