Re: 8800B Turnkey kit

  • tkaragiris
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 15, 2013
      There was a recent sale on ebay of an original Altair 88000 in kit stage. It got a much higher price than any similar assembled Altair that I've seen. So I would keep your kit together, even though it's missing the transformer. The value of these computers is based on how rare they are and Altairs in kit form are extremely rare.

      --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "sonicpt" <sonicpt@...> wrote:

      > With recent talk of ebay sales and selling parts, I'll reintroduce my situation that I posted a few years back. I have an original 8800B-Turnkey kit, in the original box, unassembled, but missing the separately boxed transformer. Currently the shipping box has been opened for photos, but the included parts box is still sealed. The time has really come to sell it. I'm having a hard time deciding it's value, and if it would be worth more selling as parts, since I don't have a transformer, and don't know if any are available alone anymore. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I need cash for this, so I don't think I'm interested in a donation, unfortunately. (I know it would make a nice display as a sample of an Altair kit.) Thanks!!!

    • toml_12953
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 16, 2013
        I don't think the turnkey models get anywhere near as much as the blinkenlights versions. Somehow all those lights and switches seem to make it look more like a computer.

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 16, 2013
          Yeah, absolutely, the front panel switch models are the more sought after machines. Plus much easier to debug with the front panel.

          But it's all relative, a BT in kit form would attract greater interest and value than an assembled BT.