Re: [Altair Computer Club] When was the last time a fully working and sorted Altair came up for sale?

  • Craig Landrum
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 12, 2013
      On 8/11/13 at 12:59 PM, no_reply@yahoogroups.com (corey986) wrote:

      >Was thinking with all the Altairs coming up on EBay, I have yet
      >to see one come up that actually is running and sorted out
      >(I.e. running basic and programs).
      >
      >I guess this posting should be more of a poll or something....
      >
      >Cheers,
      >Corey

      About 10 years ago I sold a complete working 64K Altair 8800
      system with
      all original Altair CPU, mem, floppy disk, printer, etc boards - fully
      populated and working, with two working Altair disk drives, a
      Wyse terminal,
      and a working ASR33. Could boot to the Wyse or ASR via front
      panel boot
      time switch configs to use one of two SIO boards. Could boot BASIC,
      Burkom CP/M. It was a private sale for $6500.00. At the same
      time on
      eBay, I put up a working 64K IMSAI that used my own BIOS -system came
      complete with dual 8-inch floppies, and combo 5.25/3.5 drive
      mounted in
      an IMSAI 2 diskette drive cabinet. Booted to CP/M 2.2. That
      sold for
      $3500 and I heavily touted it as in "perfect working, bootable condition",
      and compared it to the normal "lame, as-is" offerings normally seen.
      Said it had been "lovingly restored to original working
      condition by a
      old-time computer geek". Sold pretty quickly :-)

      --
      Craig Landrum
      Chief Technical Officer