Re: When was the last time a fully working and sorted Altair came up for sale?

  • steve
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 11, 2013
      I sold an Altair 8800bT a couple of years ago. It was fully functional, with 100 percent Altair parts, and I included cassette BASIC on CD, with the necessary software, cables, and EPROMs to load and run it from a PC. It sold in a few hours with a Buy-it-Now of $3500. As quickly as it sold, I figured that I probably priced it too low.

      I'm hanging on to the 8800b that I built from a kit back in ~1978.

      steve
      =============================

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 12, 2013
        I think there is a buyer for every variation of system condition you'll find on eBay:

        Beat up and hybrid systems are often purchased at low cost just to get a board or two, or hard to find parts.

        Complete, but non-functional systems are often bought by people like us because they make for a good fixer-upper system at a reasonable price.

        Like Steve's experience -- and I'd like to see the outcome of one of Martin's auctions for a full and working system -- there are also buyers who want to be up and running with as little work as possible, and they're will to pay for it.

        Just five percent of Altair 8800 Clone sales have been kits, and those have been to the same customers that are also purchasing an assembled unit. I think this shows that is a market for complete, ready to use, Altairs that aren't a challenge to get up and running.

        When I am done with the current projects on my plate, I may purchase, refurb, and sell a few Altair systems. I enjoy working on them but don't need a room full of Altair computers.

        Mike

        --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, corey986 <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > Was thinking with all the Altairs coming up on EBay, I have yet to see one come up that actually is running and sorted out (I.e. running basic and programs).
        >
        > Has anyone seen one ever come up? What kind was it, early, A or B model?I have seen "it lights up" and stuff like that but actually running software?
        >
        > I know with all the effort I put into getting my system up I'm in no rush to sell, but do you guys think that is the case with everyone else. Once we get them working we never will part with them? Or is it that we only see the ones for sale that people lack the skills or time to work on?
        >
        > I guess this posting should be more of a poll or something....
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Corey

      • Craig Landrum
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 12, 2013
          On 8/11/13 at 12:59 PM, no_reply@yahoogroups.com (corey986) wrote:

          >Was thinking with all the Altairs coming up on EBay, I have yet
          >to see one come up that actually is running and sorted out
          >(I.e. running basic and programs).
          >
          >I guess this posting should be more of a poll or something....
          >
          >Cheers,
          >Corey

          About 10 years ago I sold a complete working 64K Altair 8800
          system with
          all original Altair CPU, mem, floppy disk, printer, etc boards - fully
          populated and working, with two working Altair disk drives, a
          Wyse terminal,
          and a working ASR33. Could boot to the Wyse or ASR via front
          panel boot
          time switch configs to use one of two SIO boards. Could boot BASIC,
          Burkom CP/M. It was a private sale for $6500.00. At the same
          time on
          eBay, I put up a working 64K IMSAI that used my own BIOS -system came
          complete with dual 8-inch floppies, and combo 5.25/3.5 drive
          mounted in
          an IMSAI 2 diskette drive cabinet. Booted to CP/M 2.2. That
          sold for
          $3500 and I heavily touted it as in "perfect working, bootable condition",
          and compared it to the normal "lame, as-is" offerings normally seen.
          Said it had been "lovingly restored to original working
          condition by a
          old-time computer geek". Sold pretty quickly :-)

          --
          Craig Landrum
          Chief Technical Officer