Interest in MITS ALTAIR 8800 nameplate reproduction?

  • profpresbury
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 6, 2003
      I'm restoring an Altair 8800 which I received without the thin
      aluminum MITS ALTAIR 8800 nameplate on the bottom of the front panel.
      The best reproduction I can have made around here (Hartford, CT)
      would be either a durable but very flexible vinyl (?) film which
      looks like brushed aluminum, or a thicker, rigid plastic which also
      look like brushed aluminum (but not as much as the flexible vinyl).
      My understanding is that the original thin aluminum stock may have
      been painted (silk-screened?) since that would allow for the light
      blue chevron MITS logo. But I can't find anyone who says they can
      duplicate it this way. Neither would be able to reproduce the
      colored chevron. I will have to check further to see if the stock is
      two-layered (black and white) - perhaps if the chevron could be done
      in white, we could find some way to paint it. Also, both would be
      laser engraved rather than (what appears to be) raised letering on
      the original. Set-up fees would be $30-$35 plus $5-$6 per
      nameplate. So, some quesions for the group:

      1. Anybody else interested in getting one if I have them made up?
      Cost should be less than $10 each in quantity 10.
      2. I'm leaning toward the thinner vinyl - they tell me that the
      adhesive backing will allow it to be peeled off (but never used
      again) and you could always find your own thin metal strip to attach
      it to. The thicker plastic looks thicker than what I would expect
      the aluminum stock to be - not a lot thicker, but certainly
      noticeable upon closer inspection. It would be easier to remove and
      re-use (put it on your Pentium 4 box?) So, what are your thoughts on
      the material?