Re: CP/M HEX file question

  • tkaragiris
    Message 1 of 41 , Jul 23, 2013
      From what I've read about cp/m it was a very flexible system for porting and I understand what your saying about the BIOS.

      Some good news - I've managed to get a response from Frank Barberis who is the developer of APE and he said he is looking into my request for a 56k version. So I'll post an update when I have some more news. If I can get an APE version with more memory that runs the big ticket applications, I'll create some pre-filled APE disks and post them on here.

      --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "deramp5113" <deramp5113@...> wrote:

      > MOVCPM has to modify all memory references that change when CP/M is run at a different memory location. This includes all affected addresses in the CCP, BDOS, BIOS and the boot loader. MOVCPM has an internal bit table that flags every address that must be modified. This is static information for the CCP and BDOS (for a given version of CP/M), however, Digital Research couldn't know what addresses had to be modified in the BIOS or boot loader as these were machine specific. This means that MOVCPM has to be machine specific just like the BIOS and bootloader.
      >
      > Unfortunately, finding a source for MOVCPM in order to figure out how the relocation table works and to patch the table for a custom BIOS and bootloader has proven to be very difficult. I imagine this is why APE does not have a stand-alone MOVCPM that works.
      >
      > If anyone has any version of the MOVCPM source, I'd love to see it so I could create a few MOVCPM's I'd like to have!
      >
      > Since any version of MOVCPM still properly relocates the CCP and BDOS portions of CP/M, creating different sizes of CP/M is still possible by using DDT to patch the custom BIOS and bootloader into the relocated CCP and BDOS. Of course, you can also rebuild from source these days.
      >
      > Mike
      >

      > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "tkaragiris" <tkaragiris@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Mike,
      > >
      > > Ok thanks. It's odd that MOVCPM is included but not configured for the APE distribution.
      > >
      > > I did manage to successfully use APEWRITE, but it only creates another cp/m system of the same size as the boot system.
      > >
      > > I've contacted the author so I'll see how I go with getting a response. Although as with much of this stuff it's from years ago.
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > Theo
      > >

      > > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "deramp5113" <deramp5113@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Theo,
      > > >
      > > > You have the process right if MOVCPM has been modified to also move (relocate) the APE CBIOS, but I don't believe it has been.
      > > >
      > > > An unmodified MOVCPM has no clue what addresses in the APE CBIOS need to be relocated, so the CP/M image it generates is no good. If I had the source to the APE CBIOS, I could assemble it at the new address for a 56K CP/M and then patch the APE BIOS into the rest of CP/M (which MOVCPM does relocate correctly). However, neither of the BIOS source files on the APE distribution disks are actually the APE BIOS.
      > > >
      > > > Finally, I think Frank is correct in that even if you could create a valid CP/M image in memory, SYSGEN can't be used to write the CP/M boot image to the system tracks, you'd have to use APEWRITE instead at that point.
      > > >
      > > > Bottom line, you'll probably have to get the APE author to create a 48K or 56K version for you, or see if he'll send you the APE CBIOS source file.
      > > >
      > > > Mike

    • tkaragiris
      Message 41 of 41 , Aug 8, 2013