Re: CP/M HEX file question

    Message 1 of 41 , Jul 21 6:31 AM
      Theo,

      For MBASIC, there's a good chance you really are running into a memory limit problem. I recall MBASIC having less than 30K free when running on a 60K CP/M build, so it will be really close on a 32K build of CP/M. Did you create a 32K build of CP/M on Altair32 or just reduce RAM size?

      I'll fire up a 32K build of CP/M and let you know what I find for MBASIC and ladder (love that game - it's Mario before Mario existed!)

      Mike

      --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "tkaragiris" <tkaragiris@...> wrote:

      > Martin / Mike,
      >
      > After reading some replies it dawned on me that the problem with losing characters from pasting into Ed was that I had no character delay set in Teraterm. I don't normally need character delay when using stand alone Basic, so it didn't occur to me right away. But obviously because of the slow access time of the APE emulator over the serial cable, character delay was necessary. So after putting on a 30ms character delay I was able to paste into Ed fine. As such I managed to get both pcget and xmodem onto the APE disk. Both assembled and ran fine.
      >
      > I was able to copy some CP/M utilities like ls.com and a few others, they worked fine. But unfortunately the big ticket items like mbasic.com and ladder.com won't run. I get a "BAD LOAD" error when trying to run those.
      >
      > I thought at first it may be due tot he 32k memory of my APE CP/M system but I tested that same memory size on the Altair32 emulator and mbasic ran fine on there.
      >
      > In any case I can now copy stuff into the APE disks which is much better than before.
      >
      > Thanks again everyone for all your help.
      >

      > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "mfeberhard" <eberhard@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I have used Mike's PCPUT and PCGET programs, and they are excellent. His way of bootstrapping works very well.
      > >
      > > (You could even use PCGET to load the source code for my Xmodem program :-) )
      > >
      > > -Martin E
      > >
      > > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "deramp5113" <deramp5113@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Theo,
      > > >
      > > > I agree with Martin, use XMODEM to transfer any CP/M file you find on the internet into your Altair over a serial port. This operation writes the file to your APE disk drive.
      > > >
      > > > I have a ready to run CP/M program for doing just this if your serial board is a 2SIO board. The program PCGET retrieves any files from a PC into a CP/M machine using the XMODEM protocol. For example, typing:

      > > > Prompts you to start an XMODEM send operation on your terminal emulator. The file comes in over the same serial port you are using for the console and is written to the CP/M disk file "DEMO.COM"
      > > >
      > > > But... how do you get PCGET.COM onto your computer to begin with? I posted instructions for doing this in the "PCGET and PCPUT" folder in the files section:
      > > >
      > > > "Files > Burcon (MITS) CPM > PCGET and PCPUT"
      > > >
      > > > Mike

    • tkaragiris
      Message 41 of 41 , Aug 8, 2013