Re: CP/M HEX file question

  • W Tom
    Message 1 of 41 , Jul 19, 2013
      Multiple options can be useful.

      My XMODEM source is on one of SSSD soft-sectored 8-inch diskettes I want
      to transfer. My version was configured for BYE and a PMMI. Newer
      versions of XMODEM probably support YMODEM and ZMODEM.

      My Modem 7.12 is handy, but the next generation MDM might be better. I
      think my MEX is configured for Vector Graphic, but could be configured
      for an Altair.

      There is still old software to recover and new code to write. Nothing I
      have works on CDOS. Altair KERMIT is handy to have too.

      W. Tom S.

      --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "mfeberhard" wrote:

      > I originally looked around for a decent XMODEM program to use. I
      needed one where I had the source code, so that I could rewrite drivers
      for my own peculiar hardware. After looking around a while, I didn't
      find such a program - that's why I wrote my own. I wrote it in a way
      that makes it pretty easy for you to change the I/O drivers for whatever
      peculiar hardware you might have. While I was at it, I implemented the
      CRC mode, because the CRC calculation code is interesting.

      > If I was doing what Tom's doing - moving lots of files at a time - I
      probably would also have implemented the MODEM7 batch protocols.

      > I actually first wrote my XMODEM program to run under Cromemco's CDOS.
      It was then a small matter :-) of converting from Z80 code to 8080 code,
      and then rewriting the OS interface, to make a CP/M version.

      > Martin E
      >
      > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "W Tom" yahoo@ wrote:
      > >
      > > Rich,
      > >
      > > I do basically the same thing, but use Modem7 and NewSweep. CP/M
      XMODEM
      > > is handy for sharing the console port. Modem7 is more powerful, but
      > > requires a separate console and transfer port.
      > >
      > > Modem7 can use Terminal Mode to operate a computer over the second
      port.
      > > Modem7 can do a DIR and other commands. CP/M XMODEM just tranfers
      files
      > > and keeps a log of file transfers for the RCP/M operator.
      > >
      > > W. Tom S.
      > >

      > > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, Richard Cini wrote:
      > > >
      > > > The XMODEM method is what I use for my IMSAI. Every disk I create
      has
      > > XMODEM
      > > > and PIP on it. It makes it very easy. I have a second serial card
      in
      > > the
      > > > IMSAI that's for the "punch/reader" device. Works like a charm.
      > > >
      > > > Thanks Martin for a great utility!
      > > >
      > > > Rich
      > > >
      > > > --
      > > > Rich Cini
      > > > Collector of Classic Computers
      > > > Build Master and lead engineer, Altair32 Emulator
      > > > http://www.classiccmp.org/cini
      > > > http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32

    • tkaragiris
      Message 41 of 41 , Aug 8, 2013