8800b-dm 5.25" Floppy Disk Controller and drives.

  • W Tom
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 4, 2013
      The 8800b-sm and 8800b-dm (AKA Foley) are a variation on MITS hard-sectored floppy technology. These turnkey Altairs have an Attache 10-slot MB and one or two SA400 5.25" drives in the mainframe. I assume the modified MITS controllers are 16 hard-sectored.

      I know one member with a Foley. He does not have a boot disk. I have enough parts to build an 8800b-dm. I would prefer built a custom configuration and sell the 5.25" parts.

      How many group members have an "8800b-?m/Foley"?

      Does anyone have Altair software on 5.25" diskette?

      Is an "8800b-?m/Foley" valuable? Convince me to restore it. The mainframe is very useful to me, but not the diskette format. I have one controller pair. The controller looks like 8", but the cables are different.

      The controller internal cables connect to two power regulator/buffer? boards. The boards are behind two SA-400 drives?

      What is the interest in this 5.25 technology? I think Steve Shepard has Foley manuals. Not much is known about the relationship with Foley department stores. How many were made? Was retail sale at a department store an Altair first or did the deal get cancelled before mass production?

      W. Tom S.