Re: Altair Basic manuals 1975, 1977, searchable versions

    Message 1 of 6 , May 23, 1935
      These are great! I could have really used these (and other!) manuals in searchable format six months ago!

      Great job and great idea.

      Mike

      --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "tkaragiris" <tkaragiris@...> wrote:

      > I've added two new files to the files section. These are searchable versions of the 1975 and 1977 Basic manuals They're in a folder called: "Basic manuals - searchable".
      >
      > I've been reading through these manuals quite a bit lately. Ive run these pdf's through some OCR software that I use which makes them fully searchable. I've also optimized them for the screen by cropping the pages.
      >
      > I do this to all the old pdf manuals that I use regularly, it makes them much easier to use for reference if you can search for keywords. If anyone has any manuals in pdf that they need OCR'd, let me know.

    • co4altair
      Message 2 of 6 , May 23, 1935
        Nice work!

        You should do it for the 680 pdf's too!

        Co

        --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "deramp5113" <deramp5113@...> wrote:

        > These are great! I could have really used these (and other!) manuals in searchable format six months ago!
        >
        > Great job and great idea.
        >
        > Mike
        >
        > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "tkaragiris" <tkaragiris@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I've added two new files to the files section. These are searchable versions of the 1975 and 1977 Basic manuals They're in a folder called: "Basic manuals - searchable".
        > >
        > > I've been reading through these manuals quite a bit lately. Ive run these pdf's through some OCR software that I use which makes them fully searchable. I've also optimized them for the screen by cropping the pages.
        > >
        > > I do this to all the old pdf manuals that I use regularly, it makes them much easier to use for reference if you can search for keywords. If anyone has any manuals in pdf that they need OCR'd, let me know.

      • tkaragiris
        Message 3 of 6 , May 23, 1935
          Mike,

          Ahhh, if I had only known. Anyway, if you have any others that you'd like done, just send them through to me. Process only takes a couple of minutes per large doc.

          In fact, not sure how many would be interested in this but I have a large collection of MITS Computer Notes magazine scans. I found them on this website:

          http://startup.nmnaturalhistory.org/gallery/computernotes.php

          I was looking for a full set of Computer Notes in pdf, but could only find a few here and there. So I wrote a script and downloaded all the images from the Startup site. So what I've started doing is running all the images through the OCR software and creating hi-res pdf and searchable versions. Only issue with these is that the whole collection is quite large, around 1gig in size. If people are interested in getting a copy of these once I've finished scanning, I'll put them up for download on an external link. Let me know?

          Message 4 of 6 , May 25, 1935
            Co,

            If you give me links to the docs you want, I'll add them to the folder I've set up on here.

            Thanks,
            Theo

            Message 5 of 6 , May 28, 1935
              Theo was kind enough to spend the time and effort to make numerous additional
              Altair manuals searchable. I have them hosted at
              http://altairclone.com/altair_manuals.htm

              Thanks Theo!