Re: Looking for an unmodified copy of Altair 3.2 4k basic tape image.

  • corey986
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 14, 2013
      Well I think your onto something. My SIO card is supposed to have bit 7 change (Rev-1 style) and I guess it is stuck low because I used the program you emailed me and it doesn't send a character and stepping through its stuck in the initial loop.

      I swapped in a NOS com2502 and no change
      I swapped in a NOS 8T97 into position L and no change
      I swapped in a NOS 7404 into position E and no change

      I guess I need to try swapping in position C, but its soldered in on my board. So I'll have to put a socket in there.

      I could pull out the scope if I have time to move it upstairs. I really need to buy one of those portable LCD digital scopes for situations like this.

      BTW my board doesn't have IC position T, so no use looking at that one. I have noticed some schematics have that chip and some don't so I guess there was a revision at some point.

      I'll keep you guys posted, I may not be able to get to it till tonight.

      Thanks,
      Corey

      --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "deramp5113" <deramp5113@...> wrote:

      > Could be that the transmit ready bit is stuck low (ready). If this is the case, then when BASIC transmits messages, the entire message is "sent" in less than the time of a single character!
      >
      > The bit could be stuck low due to the COM2502 itself (unlikely) or a connection from the 2502, through a read buffer, etc. (more likely).
      >
      > Enter a small program on the front panel to poll for bit 7 of the control register to be low, then transmit a character (e.g., 'A'), then repeat the loop. If you don't get a steady stream of A's on the screen, then most likely your problem is bit 7 stuck low.
      >
      > Mike
      >

      > --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, corey986 <no_reply@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I know there are a few copies around here, but I'm not sure of the actual source of the image. They could all derive from the same source.
      > >
      > > Let me explain.
      > >
      > > I'm trying to troublshoot my SIO-A card.
      > >
      > > I can load the basic software with it and use another serial card emulating a 2-SIO to display the terminal, but I can't get the SIO-A to display the data. BTW. Everything on the net indicates the sense switches should be all down for this card.
      > >
      > > The echo program works. The status bit 7 is low after a read to say it is ready for output (I wrote a small program to get that). The simple read the sense switches and output the value seems to work fine also.
      > >
      > > Only basic doesn't work to display. I have tried the 4k basic from altair32 that is on the Solivent site. Maybe that one has been modified.
      > >
      > > So as a final troublshooting test I need to try a basic from a known origin, hopefully from someone who made the image from an original Microsoft tape. So before I go trying every copy around here I'm asking which one to try.
      > >
      > > Can anyone think of anything else that could be wrong?
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > Corey

    • toml_12953
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 14, 2013
        The 4K BASIC WAV file I made and sent up here is from an original MITS tape.
        You can convert it to a .tap file with Rich Cini's WaveProc program.

        The WAV is in the Cassette Tape Images area.

        Tom L

        --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, corey986 <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > I know there are a few copies around here, but I'm not sure of the actual source of the image. They could all derive from the same source.
        >
        > Let me explain.
        >
        > I'm trying to troublshoot my SIO-A card.
        >
        > I can load the basic software with it and use another serial card emulating a 2-SIO to display the terminal, but I can't get the SIO-A to display the data. BTW. Everything on the net indicates the sense switches should be all down for this card.
        >
        > The echo program works. The status bit 7 is low after a read to say it is ready for output (I wrote a small program to get that). The simple read the sense switches and output the value seems to work fine also.
        >
        > Only basic doesn't work to display. I have tried the 4k basic from altair32 that is on the Solivent site. Maybe that one has been modified.
        >
        > So as a final troublshooting test I need to try a basic from a known origin, hopefully from someone who made the image from an original Microsoft tape. So before I go trying every copy around here I'm asking which one to try.
        >
        > Can anyone think of anything else that could be wrong?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Corey

      • corey986
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 14, 2013
          Well all is good now.... The 7404 in position C was bad. I desoldered it, used a NOS socket that was the same as the others on the board and then put a new chip in. 4k basic 3.2 loads perfectly now.

          Next up a full run of all the other versions of basic and to make sure my modified mits monitor works with it.

          Thanks again to everyone who helped...

          Cheers,
          Corey

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 14, 2013