Re: Unknown Z80 S-100 CPU Card

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 15, 2013
      Looks like this computer, made by "Processing Innovations," is a "Speech Aided Modem" (SAM) used as a gateway between hand-held inventory computers and a host computer. The hand-held computers connected to this computer via acoustic-modems. This computer received the data and provided data transfer status to the remote user via synthesized speech over the phone line. This computer then stored and forwarded the inventory data to the final host computer.

      Several links, though a year before this specific model, appear in ComputerWorld magazine. Here is one of those links:

      http://books.google.com/books?id=69kEbmHHmggC&pg=PA16&dq=%22processing+innovations%22+sam+computer&hl=en&sa=X&ei=jyVsUfK9F6bY2AW3wYCoCg&ved=0CDgQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22processing%20innovations%22%20sam%20computer&f=false

      Mike

      --- In altaircomputerclub@yahoogroups.com, "Kip Koon" <computerdoc@...> wrote:

      > Hi All,
      >
      > I have an Altair 8800 with no serial number sticker and another S-100 based
      > computer both without any documentation. I have taken a picture of each
      > S-100 card for identification. Where should I put the pictures for
      > identification? I've included one picture of the one of the three CPU cards
      > in the unknown computer. The front panel is unlike any Altair 8800 front
      > panel that I have ever seen on the internet. I'm eager to see if these
      > computers can be revived. Any help is very much appreciated. Thank you all
      > in advance.
      >
      > Kip

    • Kip Koon
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 15, 2013

        Mike,

        Thank you very much for the link.  I appreciate it a lot.  A Speech-Aided Modem.  That is very interesting considering when it was developed.  I would love to get it working again if possible.  Maybe it could be repurposed into a general purpose computer using all three CPU cards in some way.  I would really like to get some docs on those CPU cards for sure.  I want to look at the other links you mentioned.  I will try the search parameter you used and see what comes up.  Thanks again.

        Kip